Canadian Genealogy |Lovell's Gazetteer of  British North America

 

Canadian Research

Alberta

British Columbia

Manitoba

New Brunswick

Newfoundland

Northern Territories

Nova Scotia

Nunavut

Ontario

Prince Edward Island

Quebec

Saskatchewan

Yukon

Canadian Indian Tribes

Chronicles of Canada

 

Free Genealogy Forms
Family Tree Chart
Research Calendar
Research Extract
Free Census Forms
Correspondence Record
Family Group Chart
Source Summary

 

New Genealogy Data
Family Tree Search
Biographies

Genealogy Books For Sale

Indian Mythology

US Genealogy

 

Other Websites
British Isles Genealogy
Australian Genealogy

 


FREE Web Site Hosting at
Canadian Genealogy

 

 

 

Ponhook to Prince Edward, Canada

PONHOOK, Queens co., N.S. See Greenfield.

PONSONBY, a post village in Wellington co., Ont., 6½ miles from Guelph. Pop. 80.

PONTIAC, a village in Pontine co., Que., on the north side of the Chats Rapids, 3 miles from Quio (Onslow). Pop. 50.

PONT CHATEAU, a post village in Soulanges co., Que., 5 miles from Coteau Station. It contains 1 tannery and 2 stores. Pop. 120.

PONT DE MASKINONGE, or MASKINONGE BRIDGE, a post village of Quebec, co. of Maskinonge, situated on the north shore of the St, Lawrence, 27 miles above Three Rivers. It contains a telegraph office, 4 stores, and saw, grist and carding mills. Pop. 350.

PONT ROUGE, a post office in Portneuf co., Que., 8 miles from Pointe aux Trembles en bas.

POODIAC, a post village in Kings co., N.B., 9 miles from Sussex. Pop. 100.

POOLE, a post village in Perth co., Ont., 12½ miles from Stratford Pop. 200.

POOL'S COVE, a fishing settlement in the district of Fortune Bay, Nfld., 5 miles from Bellcorem. Pop. 50.

POOL'S ISLAND, in Bonavista Bay, Nfld., 2 miles from Green's Pond It is settled by fishermen. Pop 524.

POPE'S HARBOR, a post office in Halifax co., N.S., 59½ miles from Halifax.

POPLAR GROVE, a post office in Gloucester co , N.B., 6 miles from Bathurst.

POPLAR HILL, a post village in Pictou co., N.S., 10 miles from Pictou. It contains 1 store, 1 hotel, 2 saw mills, and 1 grist mill. Pop. 100.

POPLAR POINT, a post office in the district of Marquette, Man., on the River Assiniboine, 45 miles from Fort Garry.

POQUIOCK, a post village in York co., N.B., on the River St. John, 40 miles above Fredericton. It contains a large saw mill. Pop. 150.

PORTAGE, Huntingdon co., Que, See Dewittville.

PORTAGE DU FORT, an incorporated village of Quebec, co. of Pontiac, situated on the N shore of the River Ottawa, 60 miles N. of Ottawa. It contains several saw and gristmills, 2 telegraph office, 4 hotels, a number of stores, and extensive marble quarries. Pop. 652.

PORTAGE ISLAND, an island of New Brunswick, lying at the entrance of Miramichi Bay, about three miles distant from the mainland This island is about five miles in length and from a quarter to half a mile in width, well wooded and valuable as a salmon fishery It is at present granted to the British Admiralty tot naval purposes and rented to the fishermen The annual value of salmon taken is about eight thousand dollars There is a lighthouse at the S E extremity

PORTAGE LA PRAIRIE, a post office in the district of Marquette, Man , 59 miles from Fort Garry

PORTAGE RIVER, a post settlement in Northumberland co., N.B , 42 miles from Chatham Pop 100.

PORT ALBERT, a post village in Huron co., Ont, 10 miles from Goderich. It contains 2 stores and 2 hotels. Pop. 200.

PORT A PIQUE, a post settlement in Colchester co., N.S., 10 miles from Londonderry. Pop. 300.

PORT A PIQUE MOUNTAINS, a post settlement in Colchester co., N.S., 17½ miles from Londonderry. Pop. 200.

PORT ATI BASQUES, Burgeo and La Poile, Nfld. See Channel.

PORT AU BRAS, a fishing settlement on the W. side of Placentia Bay, Nfld., 1 mile from Burin. Pop 195.

PORT AU CHOIN, a fishing station on the French shore, Nfld., 250 miles from Channel Pop. 38.

PORT AUGUSTUS COVE, a hamlet in Queens co.. P.E. I. It has an hotel, a grist mill, and 2 stores

PORT AU PERSIL, or ST SIMEON a post village in Charlevoix co., Que., on the N shore of the St Lawrence. 18 miles from Murray Bay It has 2 stores. Pop. 350.

PORT AU PORT, a fishing station on the French shore, Nfld Pop 75.

PORT AUX QUILLES, a settlement in Charlevoix co., Que., on the north shore of the St Lawrence, 15 miles W. of Tadonsac Pop. 75

PORT BECKERTON, a fishing settlement in Guysborough co., 18 miles from Sherbrooke. Pop. 130.

PORT BRUCE, a post village in Elgin co., Ont., at the outlet of Catfish Creek in bake Eric, 14 miles from Port Burwell. It contains several stores and hotels. Pop. 200.

PORT BURWELL, a thriving post village and port of entry of Ontario, co. of Elgin, situated at the mouth of Otter Creek in Lake Erie, 3½ miles from Ingersoll. 137 miles S W. of Toronto. It contains saw and grist mills, a tannery, a broom factory, a telegraph office, and several churches, stores and hotels. Value of imports for 1872 $4,728; exports $90,852. Pop. 1,300.

PORT CALEDONIA, or BIG GLACE BAY, a post village in Cape Breton co., N.S., on the Atlantic coast, 19 miles from Sydney. Coal is raised here. Pop. 150.

PORT CARLING, a post village in Victoria co., Ont., on Lake Muskoka, 21 miles from Bracebridge. Pop. 200.

PORT CLYDE, formerly LYLE'S BRIDGE, a post village in Shelburne N.S., 9 miles from Barrington.

PORT COLBORNE, an incorporated village and port of entry of Ontario, co. of Welland, situated on the S. shore of Lake Erie, at the outlet of the Welland Canal, and at the junction of the Grand Trunk and Welland railways, 56 miles from Brantford It contains several churches, stores, and hotels, a large grain elevator, saw mill, flouring mill, brewery, and 2 telegraph offices. The total value of imports for 1872 was. $30,408; exports $25,612. Pop. 1,500.

PORT CREDIT, a post village in Peel co., Ont., on the N.W. shore of Lake Ontario, at the mouth of the River Credit, and on the U W. R., 14 miles W. of Toronto. It contains 3 stores. 2 shipyards, and a telegraph office. Pop. 375

PORT DALHOUSIE, an incorporated village of Ontario, co of Lincoln, situated on the S shore of Lake Ontario, near its W. end, at the entrance of the Welland Canal, and on the Welland railway, 5 miles from St. Catharines, 31 miles from Toronto (by water.) It contains several churches, stores, and hotels, 2 telegraph offices, 2 flouring mills, a saw mill. and 2 shipyards. Pop 1,000.

PORT DANIEL, a post village in Bonaventure co., Que., on Baie des Chaleurs, 50 miles from Pereé. It contains a telegraph office, a saw mill, and 5 stores. Pop. 200.

PORT DARLINGTON, a port of entry on Lake Ontario, 2¼ miles from Bowmanville. Total valve of imports for 1872 $149,525; exports $122,413. See Bowmanville.

PORT DOVER, a post village and port of entry of Ontario, co of Norfolk, on the N. shore of Lake Erie, at the mouth of the River Lynn, 37 miles S.W. of Hamilton 9 miles from Simcoe. It contains several churches, a telegraph office, 4 hotels, a number of stores, an iron foundry, saw, grist and woolen mills, and a newspaper office. Total value of imports for 1872 $14,783; exports $178,712. Pop. 1,100.

PORT ELGIN, a post village. in Westmorland co., N.B., on Bide Verte, 30 miles from Shediac. It contains 3 stores, 1 hotel, a grist mill, a tannery, and a shipyard. Pop. 150.

PORT ELGIN, Bruce co., Ont. See Normanton.

PORT ELGIN, Grenville co., Ont. See Edwardsburg

PORT ESSINGTON, a village in the district of Ominiea, B.C., at the entrance to the Skeena River, in lat. 54° 75' N.

PORT ELMSLEY, a post village in Lanark co., Out., on the River Tay, 6 miles from Smith's Falls It contains a large woolen factory, and 3 saw mills. Pop. 100.

PORTER'S HILL, a post office in Huron co., Ont., 7½ miles from Clinton.

PORTER'S LAKE, a post settlement in Halifax co., N.S., 18 miles from Halifax. Pop. 120.

PORT FELIX, or MOLASSES HARBOR, a post settlement in Guysborough co., N.S., on Tor Bay, 30 miles from Guysborough. Pop. 200.

PORT FRANK, or GOLDEN CREEK, a village in Lambton en., Ont., on River aux Sable, 5 miles from Widder. Pop. 70.

PORT GEORGE, a post village in Annapolis co., N.S., on the Bay of Fundy, 16 miles from Lawrencetown. Pop. 150.

PORT GLASGOW, a village in Elgin co., Ont., on Lake Erie, 15 miles from Newbury. It contains 3 saw mills, a cheese factory, and 2 stores. Pop. 100.

PORT GRANBY, a post village in Durham en., Ont., on Lake Ontario, with a station on the G. T. R., (called Newtonville,) 54 miles E. of Toronto. It has a telegraph office. Pop. 100.

PORT GREVILLE, or RATCHFORD RIVER, a post village in Cumberland en., N.S., on Greville Bay, 15 miles from Parrsborough Pop. 250.

PORT HASTINGS, or PLAISTER COVE, a seaport town of Nova Scotia, co. of Inverness, on the Gut of Canso, 72 miles from New Glasgow. This is a repeating station of the Western Union, and New York, Newfoundland and London Telegraph companies. It has a large trade in the fisheries, in cattle and general produce. Its harbor is deep, commodious and well sheltered. Pop. 600.

PORT HAWKESBURY, a seaport town of Nova Scotia, co. of Inverness, on the Gut of Canso, 75 miles from New Glasgow. It has a fine harbor, 2 marine railways, a telegraph office, and several store. A largo trade is done in fish and general produce. The number of arrivals for 1972 was 134 (tons 69,909), and the clearances 102 (tons 65,886). Value of imports $20,302; exports $30,863. Pop. 600.

PORT HILL, a post village in Prince co., P.E.I., 16 miles from Summerside. It contains 1 saw mill, 2 grist mills, and several shipyards. Pop. 350.

PORT DE GRAVE, a fishing settlement in the district of Deigns, Nfld., 51 miles from St. John's. Pop. 593.

PORT (or HARBOR) GRACE, a maritime town of Newfoundland, on the W. side of Conception Bay, 25 miles N.W. of St. John's. See Harbor Grace.

PORT HOOD or JESTICO, a seaport town of Nova Scotia, capital of the co. of Inverness, prettily situated on the Gulf of St, Lawrence, 23 miles from Port Hastings. Its harbor is safe for frigates with any wind, has good anchorage in 4 to 5 fathoms and during the fishing season presents a most animated scene,—the mackerel fleet making it their rendezvous, when as ninny as five hundred sail can be seen at one time. The town contains a hotel and half a dozen stores. There are rich coal mines in the vicinity. The number of arrivals for 1872 was 14 (tons 655), and the clearances 12 (tons 1,012.) Total value of imports $9,762; exports $7,389. Pop. 700.

PORT HOOD ISLAND, an island at the entrance of Port Hood harbor, Inverness co., N.S It is a fishing station. Pop. 40

PORT HOOVER, a post village in Victoria co., Ont., on Lake Scugog, 9 miles from Oakwood. It contains an hotel and a saw mill Pop. 103.

PORT HOPE, an incorporated town and port of entry of Ontario, co. of Durham, on the N. shore of Lake Ontario, at the S. terminus of the Midland railway, and on the Grand Trunk, 63 miles E. of Toronto. It is built in a valley and on the side of a hill commanding fine views of the lake, and has churches of 5 or 6 denominations, 3 branch banks, 2 newspaper offices, 2 telegraph offices, a number of stores, several hotels, 5 flouring mills, 1 plaster mill, 1 planing mill, 1 distillery, 2 breweries, and manufactories of woolens, buttons, leather, wooden ware, steam engines, machinery, iron castings, &c. Good water power is afforded by Smith's Greek, which runs through the town. The streets of Port Hope are lighted with gas. The harbor is one of the best on the lake. The trade of this port in lumber and grain is considerable. Total value of imports for 1872 $272,250; exports $1,371,321. Pop. 5,114.

PORT JOLLY, a post settlement in Queens co., N.S., on the Atlantic coast, 25 miles from Liverpool. Pop. 200.

PORT LAMBTON, or LAMBTON, past village in Bothwell co., Ont., on the River St. Clair, 23 miles from Sarnia. Pop. 50.

PORTLAND, a post village in Leeds co., Ont., on Rideau Lake, 50 miles from Kingston. It contains 3 stores, a cheese factory, and a tannery. Pop. 200.

PORTLAND, a village in Norfolk co., Ont., 10 miles from Simcoe. It contains 3 stores. Pop. 50.

PORTLAND, a post town and parish of St. John co., N.B., adjoining the city of St. John. Its streets are lighted with gas, and are well built. It contains a number of large steam saw mills, and several shipyards and iron foundries. A rich plumbago mine is worked near the Falls. Sulphate of barytes is also found in the neighborhood. A handsome suspension bridge connects this parish with Lancaster. Pop. 12,520. See St. John.

PORTLAND, a village in Ottawa co., Que., 13 miles from Buckingham. Pop. 100.

PORT LA TOUR, a post settlement Shelburne co., N.S., 8 miles from Barrington. It contains 2 stores. Pop. 210.

PORT LE BEAR, or PORT HEBERT, Queens co., N.S. See Big Port le Bear.

PORT LEWIS, a post village in Huntingdon co., Que., on Lake St. Francis, 6 miles from Huntingdon, 3 miles from River Beaudette. It contains 2 hotels and several stores. Pop. 120.

PORT MAITLAND, or BROAD CREEK, a post village in Monck. co., Ont., on Grand river, near its entrance into Lake Erie, 7 miles S. of Dunnville. Pop. 80.

PORT MATOUN (or MOUTON) ISLAND, at the W. entrance to Port Matoun, Queens co., N.S. Pop. 30.

PORT MEDWAY or MILL VILLAGE, a seaport town of Nova Scotia, in Queens co., at the head of capacious harbor, 90 miles S.W. of Halifax. It has several stores mills, and shipyards, and is a place of considerable importance in consequence of its facilities for navigation and the fisheries. The number of arrivals for 1872 was 41 (tons 0,432),and the clearances 82 (tons 12,386). Value of imports $28,484; exports $143,840. Pop. 000.

PORT NUL GRAVE, a seaport town of Nova Scotia, co. of Guysborough, on the Gut of Canso, opposite Port Hawkesbury, 73 miles from New Glasgow This is one of the most important fishery stations in the province. It has a telegraph office and 8 stores. Pop 400.

PORT NELSON, a post village of Ontario, co, of Halton, situated on Lake Ontario, 11 miles from Wellington Square, 33 miles S.S.W: of ,Toronto. It contains an hotel, a shipyard, and several stores. Pop 200.

PORTNEUF, a county of Quebec, on the N. shore of the St Lawrence, has an area of 4,643,899 acres. It is watered by the River St, Maurice and numerous small streams Capital. Cap Sauté. Pop 23,216

PORTNEUF, a flourishing post village of Quebec, in the co of Portncut, situated at the entrance of the Portncut River into the River St, Lawrence, 36 miles above Quebec It contains a telegraph office, 2 paper mills saw, flour and carding mills, a nail factory, 2 hotels, and 7 or 8 stores Pop. 800.

PORTNEUF, a small village in Saguenay co., Que., on the north shore of the St Lawrence, at the mouth of Portneuf river. 45 miles below Tadousac. Pop 500

PORT PERRY, a flourishing post village ni Whitby co., Ont., on Lake Scugog, at the N terminus of the Whitby and Port Perry railway, 18 miles from Whitby It is built on an eminence commanding a fine view of the lake, and is connected with Scugog Island by a floating bridge a of a mile long. It contains Episcopal, Presbyterian and Methodist churehes,2 branch banks, a number of stores, several hotels, saw and grist mills, a newspaper office, 2 telegraph offices, and manufactories of agricultural implements, machinery, steam engines, iron castings, mill gearing, &c. Steamers ply between here and Lindsay. Pop. 1,500.

PONT PHILIP, or GREAT BRIDGE, a village in Cumberland co., N.S , 14 miles from River Philip. Pop. 80.

PORT RICHMOND, or RICHMOND MINES, a post village in Richmond co., N.S., on the Out of Canso, 9½ miles from Port Hawkesbury. Pop. 120.
PORT ROBINSON, a post village of Ontario, co. of Welland, situated on the Welland Canal, and on the Welland railway, 10 miles S.E. of St. Catharines. It contains several stores, hotels and mills, 2 dry docks, and 2 telegraph offices. Pop. 600.

PORT ROWAN, a thriving post village and port of entry of Ontario, co. of Norfolk, situated on Lake Erie, 21 miles from Simone. It contains Episcopal and Methodist churches, a telegraph office and about a dozen stores, and has a large trade in lumber and grain. Value of imports for 1872 $2,027; exports $59,919. Pop. 900.

PORT ROYAL, a post village in Norfolk co., Ont., on Lake Erie, at the month of Big Creek, 23½ miles from Simcoe. Pop. 100.

PORT ROYAL, a post village in Richmond co., N.S., 9 miles from Arichat. It contains 2 stores.

PORT ROYAL, Annapolis co., N.S. See Annapolis.

PORT RYERSE, a post village in Norfolk co., Ont., on Lake Erie, 6 miles from Simcoe. It contains a telegraph office, 3 stores and a pottery, and has a large trade in lumber and grain. Pop. 300.

PORT SARNIA, Lambton co., Ont. See Point Edward.

PORT SEVERN, a post village in Simcoe co., Ont., on Matchedash Bay, 24 miles from Orillia. Pop. 130.

PORTSMOUTH, an incorporated village of Ontario, co. of Frontenac, on Portsmouth Bay, 2 miles from Kingston. It contains the Provincial Penitentiary and Rockwood Lunatic Asylum; also, a large tannery, a brewery, a flouring mill, a telegraph office, 2 marine railways, and about a dozen stores. The bay forms a deep and well sheltered harbor. Pop. 1,702.

PORT STANLEY, a post village and port of entry of Ontario, co. of Elgin, on Lake Erie, at the S. terminus of the London and Port Stanley railway, 24 miles from London. It contains several churches, 2 telegraph offices, 7 or 8 stores, 7 hotels, a saw mill, grist mill, &c. Valve of imports for 1872 $92,105; exports $101,863. Pop. 900.

PORT TALBOT, a post village in Elgin cc., Ont., on Lake Erie, 14 miles from St. Thomas. Pop. 9u.

PORTUGUESE COVE, a post settlement in Halifax co., N.S., 13 miles from Halifax. Pop. 260.

PORT UNION, a post village in Ontario co., Ont., on Lake Ontario, and on the G. T. R., 16½ miles E. of Toronto. It contains a telegraph office, 1 store and 2 hotels. Pop. 100.

PORTUGAL COVE, a post village of Newfoundland, situated on the south side of Conception Bay, 9½ miles from St. John's. it is built on very rocky ground near the foot of a range of rocky hills. Pop. 650.

PORT WILLIAMS, a post village in Kings co., N.S., on the Cornwallis river, 1 mile from Port Williams Station. It contains 6 stores, 1 hotel, and a tannery. Pop. 300.PORT WILLIAMS, Annapolis co., N.S. See Marshall's Cove.

PORT WILLIAMS STATION, or GREENWICH, a post village in Kings co., N.S., on the W. &, A. R., 20 miles from Windsor. It has a telegraph office. Pop. 150.

POSTE DES GRAIS, a post village in St. Maurice co., Qum:, on the River St. Maurice, 17 miles from Three Rivers. It contains 2 saw mills. Pop. 200.

POST VILLE, Halton co., Ont. See Trafalgar.

POUCH COVE, a large settlement in the district of St. John's, Nfld., 19 miles from St. John's. Pop. 830.

POULAMOND, a settlement in Richmond co., N.S., 7 miles from Arichat. Pop. 200.

POWELL, a post office in Carleton co., Ont., 5 miles from Almonte.

POWELL'S MILLS, Hastings co., Ont. See Malone.

POWELL'S MILLS, Northumberland co., Ont. Sec Stockdale.

POWERS, a village in Richmond co., N.S., 5 miles from St. Peters.

POWERS COURT, a post village in Huntingdon co., Que., on the Chateauguay river, 6 miles from Huntingdon. It contains a saw mill, a carding mill, and 2 stores. Pop. 150.

POWNAL, a thriving post village in Queens co., P.E.I., at the head of Pownal Bay, 8 miles from Charlottetown. It contains a saw and grist mill, and 2 stores. Pop. 150.

PRAIRIE SIDING, a station on the G. W. 11., in Essex co., Out., 7 miles from Chatham.

PRESCOTT, a county of Ontario, comprises an area of 313,916 acres. It is bounded by the Ottawa river on the N. Capital, L'Orignal. Pop. 17,647.

PRESCOTT, an incorporated town and port of entry of Ontario, co. of Grenville, on the River St. Lawrence, at the S. terminus of the St. L. & 0. R., and on the G. T. R., 114 miles W. of Montreal, 54 miles S. of Ottawa. It has 1 branch bank, 2 telegraph offices, 4 churches, about 50 stores, 2 iron foundries, 3 breweries and 1 distillery. A newspaper is published here. Fort Wellington is near Prescott. A short distance below the town is Windmill Point, where stand the ruins of an old stone windmill in which, in 1837, a number of "Patriots" established themselves but were driven out with severe loss. The town of Ogdensburg lies immediately opposite Prescott. The value of imports for 1872 was $216,261; exports $763,594. Pop. 2,617.

PRESCOTT JUNCTION, the junction of the G. T. and St. L. & 0. R's., 2 miles from Prescott.

PRESCOTT MILLS, a post office in Charlotte co., N.B., 33 miles from St. John.

PRESCOTT ROAD, a post office in Charlotte co., N.B., 50 miles from St John.

PRESQUILE, Grey co., Ont. See Sarawak.

PRESTON, an incorporated village of Ontario, co. of Waterloo, at the confluence of the Speed and Grand Rivers, and on the W. G. & B. R., 35 miles from Hamilton. It contains 2 telegraph offices, a number of stores and hotels, 3 churches, 3 breweries, 2 distilleries, saw and flour mills, and manufactories of agricultural implements, iron castings, machinery, wagons, wooden ware, woolens, earthenware, leather, &c. It possesses excellent water power, and has several mineral springs the medicinal qualities of which are highly recommended. Pop. 1,408.

PRESTON ROAD, a post settlement in Halifax co., N.S., 10 miles from Halifax. It contains 2 churches, 2 hotel 2 stores and 3 saw mills. Pop. 700

PRICEVILLE, a thriving post village in Grey co., Ont., on the Saugeen river, 4 miles from Fleshertom It contains a telegraph office, 4 stores, and several saw and flour mills. Pop. 300.

PRIMROSE, a post village in Cardwell co., Ont., 131 miles from Orangeville. Pop. 350.

PRINCE, a county occupying the NW. part of Prince Edward Island. Area 471,000 acres. Capital, Summerside.

PRINCE ALBERT, or REACH, a post village in Ontario co., Ont., on the Whitby and Port Perry railway, 161 miles from Whitby. It contains several stores, a telegraph office a newspaper office, a tannery, and a carriage factory. Pop. 600.

PRINCE ARTHUR'S LANDING, Algoma, Ont. See Thunder Bay.

PRINCE EDWARD, a county of Ontario, situated on the N shore of Lake Ontario, comprising an area of 248,130 acres. It is mostly composed of a peninsula nearly surrounded by Lake Ontario and several small bays. Capital, Picton. Pop. 20,330.


Lovell's Gazetteer of British North America, Edited by P.A. Crossby, 1873

 

Lovell's Gazetteer of British North America


Add/Correct a Link

Comments/Submit Data


Copyright 2002-2017 by Canadian Genealogy
The WebPages may be linked to but shall not be reproduced on another site without written permission.