Free Genealogy Forms
Family Group Chart
New Genealogy Data
Family Tree Search
Genealogy Books For Sale
British Isles Genealogy
FREE Web Site Hosting at
Ontario to Oyster Ponds, Canada
ONTARIO, Wentworth co., Ont. See Winona.
OPEN HALL, a fishing settlement in the district of Bonavista, Nfld., 46 miles
from Catalina. Pop. 203.
ORANGEVILLE. an incorporated village in Wellington co., Ont., on a branch of the
River Credit, and on the
T. G. &. B. R., 45 miles from Toronto. It contains 2 branch banks, 2 telegraph
offices, 2 printing offices issuing weekly newspapers, several flour mills and woolen factories, two foundries, two saw mills, steam planing, male, a large
tannery, two brickfields, a cabinet factory, and several smaller works; also,
4 large grain warehouses, several pretty churches, some commodious hotels, mad
about 30 sores. A large quantity of grain is shipped from this place, also
cordwood and timber. A cattle fair is held monthly. Pop 1,453.
ORCHARDVILLE, or NORMANDY, a post village in Gray co., Ont., 8 miles from
Mount Forest It contains 3 stores,
3 hotels, a saw mill, and a woolen mill. Pop. 151.
ORILLIA, it flourishing post village of (Ontario, co of Simcoe, prettily
situated on Lake Couchiching (at the northern extremity of Lake Simcoe,) and at
the junction of the Northern and Midland railways, 22 miles from Barrie, 86 from
Toronto. It contains 3 churches, a branch bank, 2 telegraph offices, 3 printing offices,
issuing, weekly newspapers, a lunatic asylum, several grist, oatmeal,
saw, shingle and planing mills, an iron foundry, a tannery, a brewery, several
hotels and churches, and a number of stores. This village was first settled by
who subsequently removed to Rama on the opposite side of the Lake. Orilha is a
favorite resort during the summer months The fishing in the lake is excellent Steamers
run between here and Barrie. Pop. 2,832.
ORLEANS, a post village in Russell co., Out., 8 miles from Ottawa. Pop 80.
ORLEANS, ISLE OF, beautifully situated in the St. Lawrence river, N W. of
Quebec, is 20 miles in length from S.W. to N.E., and 20 miles in greatest
breadth. There are several villages and good farms scattered over the Island.
Soil fertile, and well wooded.
ORMOND, a post village in Dundas co., Ont., 11 mites front Osgoode. Pop 40.
ORMSTOWN, or DURHAM, or ST. MALACHIE D'OMMSTOWN, it thriving post village in Chateauguay co., Que., on
the Chateauguay river, 28 miles from Caughnawaga. It contains a telegraph
office, 6 stores, 2 hotels,
4 churches, 2 saw mills, and a tannery. Pop. 500.
ORO, a post office in Simcoe co., Ont., Id miles from Barrie
OROMOCTO, a post village of New Brunswick, capital of Sunbury co , on the right
bank of the St John, at the entrance of the Oromocto River, 11 miles S E. of
Fredericton, 0 miles from Waists It contains a telegraph office, 0 stores, and
several shipyards Pop. 400
OROMOCTO, NORTH BRANCH. See Tracey.
OROMOCTO, SOUTH BRANCH. See Blissville.
ORONO, a flourishing post village is Durham c i., nt., on Orono Creek, 4½ miles
from Newcastle. It contains telegraph office, several churches and hotels, and
about a dozen stores, and has manufactories of iron castings, stoves, woolens,
wooden ware, leather, plaster, potash, boots and shoes, wagons, &c. Pop.
ORWELL or TEMPERANCEVILLE, a post village in Elgin co., Ont, 2½
miles from Aylmer. It contains a match factory, a foundry, saw and grist mills,
4 stores and 2 hotels. Pop. 220.
ORWELL COVE, a village in Queens co., P.E.I.,13 miles from Charlottetown.
ORWELL HEAD, a post village in Queens co., P.E.I., 17 miles from Charlottetown.
It has saw, grist and carding mills Pop. 50.
OSACA, a post village in Durham co., Ont, near a branch of Smith's Creek, 10
miles from Port Hope. It contains 2 stores, 1 saw mill, and 1 grist mill. Pop
OSBORNE, a fishing, and farming settlement in Shelburne co., N.S., 20 from
Shelburne. Pop. 100.
OSCEOLA, a post village in Renfrew co., Ont., on Snake river, 17 miles from
Pembroke. It has good water power, and contains 2 stores, an hotel, is saw mill, and
a grist mill. Pop. 100.
OSGOODE, a village in Russell co., Ont., with a station on the St. L. & O.R., 23 miles from Ottawa. It has a telegraph office. Pop. 50.
OSGOODE, or METCALFE, a post village in Russell co., Ont., 9 miles from Osgoode
Station. It contains telegraph office, a drill shed, town hall, 4 stores, 2 hotels, 2 tanneries, and several mills. Pop. 350.
OSHAWA, an incorporated village of Ontario, co. of Ontario, situated on Lake
Ontario, with a station on the G T. R.,33½ miles N.E
of Toronto. It is an important market town, and has manufactories of printing
presses, steam engines
and boilers, mill machinery, agricultural implements, musical instruments,
furniture, leather, wooden ware, boots and shoes, &c, and contains several
churches, 6 hotels, a number of stores, two telegraph offices, a printing office
issuing a weekly newspaper, and branch banks. Oshawa is a port of entry. Its
harbor on Lake Ontario is called Sydenham. Total value of imports for 1872,
OSNABRUCK CENTRE, a post village in Stormont co., Ont., 6 miles from Wales It
contains 3 stores. Pop. 100.
OSPREY, a post office in Grey co., Ont., 20 miles from Collingwood.
OSPRINGE, a post village in Wellington co., Ont., 14 miles from Guelph. It
contains 2 hotels and 1 store. Pop. 60.
OSSEKEAG, or HAMPTON, a post village and settlement in Kings co., N. B. on the I
R., 22 miles N. of St. John. It contains a telegraph office and several stores.
OSSIAN, a post office in Lambton co., Oat., 23 miles from Sarnia.
OSTRANDER, Bothwell co., Ont. See Selton.
OTNABOG, a post settlement in Queens co., N.B., on the St. John river, 10 miles
from Gagetown. Pop. 100.
OTTAWA, a county in the N.W. part of Quebec, has an area of 3,652,222 acres.
The Ottawa river forms its S. and S.W. boundary. This county is watered by the
Rivers Petit Nation, Lievre. Gatineau, and many small streams. Capital, Hull.
OTTAWA, formerly BYTOWN, a city of Ontario, capital of the Dominion of Canada,
and of Carleton co., is beautifully situated on the right bank of the
Ottawa River, at the outlet of the Rideau, and on the Canada Central arid St.
Lawrence and Ottawa Rail-ways, 54. mils N. of Prescott, 126 miles W.N.W. of
Montreal, 95 miles N.N.E of Kingston, and 450 miles from New York. It is one of
the most flourishing cities in Ontario, being the entrepot of
the great lumber trade of the Ottawa River and its tributaries. It is divided into
Upper and Lower Town by the Rideau Canal, which connects it Kingston. The locks
here are eight in number and are wry tat
The town was founded in 1827 by Col. By, R.E. It was incorporated a city, and
its name changed to Ottawa, in 1854, and selected by Queen Victoria as the
capital of Canada in 1858.
The chief attraction in Ottawa is the government buildings, which occupy an
elevated piece of ground, about 25 acres in extent and 150 feet above the
river, known by the name of "Barrack Hill." The view from this natural terrace
is superb. The great river with its moving rafts, steamers, barges, and canoes
rolls swiftly on through splendid hill ranges towards the south. In the distance
the fine suspension bridge which spans the majestic river just above the Chaudiere
Falls attracts the eye, even though it be tempted to rest upon the wild beauty
of the cascade sweeping by craggy rocks between abrupt islands, and plunging
into the basin below, where part of its waters disappear in a mysterious way.
Par beyond the cascade glitters the broad river swiftly rushing down the rapids
Des Chenes; and in the remote background rise towering hills and mountains,
often brilliant with purple and gold when the sun dips from view and gilds their
lovely summit with his parting beams.
The government buildings, the corner stone of which was laid by H.R.H. the
Prince of Wales in September, 1860, are constructed of a light colored
sandstone found in the township of Nepean, in the valley of the Ottawa. The
walls and arches are relieved with cut stone dressings of Devonian sandstone
from Ohio and with red sandstone from Potsdam, N.Y. The roofs are covered with
purple and green slates, and the pinnacles ornament with wrought iron
castings. The style of architecture is the Italian gothic, and the south front of
the quadrangle is formed by the Parliament building, 500 feet in length. The two
departmental buildings are 375 feet long. The rear is open and will be
railed off with a suitable ornamental screen. The committee rooms occupy the
front of the
building. The library, a beautiful detached circular building, with a dome 90
feet high, is in the rear of the central tower, 250 feet high. The two
legislative halls are on each side of the library, but in the main building.
The dimensions of these halls are the same as those of the House of Lords,
namely, 80 feet by 45; they are situated on the ground floor and lighted from
above. The library is constructed after the plan of the new library of the
British Museum, and will hold 300,000 volumes. The two departmental buildings
contain in the aggregate 300 rooms, and are intended to accommodate all the
departments of the government of the Dominion; and are so constructed as to
be capable of extension at any future time without injuring the general
architectural effect. The buildings cover nearly four acres, and cost about
Besides the above magnificent buildings Ottawa contain 17 churches, viz.:
Church of England 3; Church of Rome 4; Presbyterian 2; Church of Scotland 1:
Wesleyan Methodist 2; Episcopal Methodist 2; Congregationalist 1; Baptist 1;
Catholic Apostolic 1; 9 printing offices, several flouring mills, and large saw
mills; and has manufactories of iron castings, mill machinery, agricultural
implements, brooms, bricks, leather, wooden ware, &c, and agencies of two
telegraph and a number of assurance and insurance companies, and 7 banks. Five
daily newspapers are published in Ottawa. The streets of the city are lighted
Adjacent to Ottawa are several thriving villages, among others New Edinburgh and
Hull. "Rideau Hall," the residence of the .Governor General, is in the former
place. It is a hand-some stone structure, with 35 acres of well laid out
grounds, and beautiful avenues of shaded trees. A street railway connects these
villages with Ottawa.
The city returns two members to the House of Commons and two to the Provincial
The total value of imports for 1872 was $1,472,505; exports $1,409,954. Pop. in
1861, 14,669; in 1871, 21,545.
OTTERBURN, a fishing settlement in the district of Bay de Verds, Nfld., 4 miles
from Carbonear. Pop. 75.
OTTERBURN, a post village in Temiscouata co., Que., on the Madawaska road, 60
miles from Riviere du Loup en bus, 17 miles from Edmundston, N.B. It is in the
centre of an extensive lumbering district, and on the line of a railroad in
process of construction from Fredericton to Riviere du Loup. A large farm,
conducted on the highest principles of modern cultivation, owned by a resident
of Montreal, laid the foundation of this village. The Madawaska river and Lake
Temiscouata, in the vicinity, abound with the finest trout, making Otterburn
attractive to sportsmen. Pop. 100.
OTTER CREEK, a post village in Brace co., Ont., 5 miles from Walkerton. Pop.
OTTER LAKE or PICKANOCK, a post village and settlement in Pontiac co., Que., 35
miles from Sand Point. It contains a telegraph office, 2 stores and a saw mill.
OTTERVILLE, a flourishing post village in Oxford co., Ont., situated on Otter
Creek, 22 miles from Woodstock. It contains several grist and saw mills, a woolen factory, match, shingle, lath, and cheese factories, &c, a telegraph
office, and a number of stores, and has a large lumber trade. Pop. 750.
OUNGAH, a post office in Kent co., Ont., 7 miles from Chatham.
OUSTIC, a post village in Wellington co., Ont., 8 miles from Fergus. It
contains 2 stores and 1 hotel. Pop. 25.
OUTER COVE, a settlement in the district of St. John's, Nfld., 6 miles from St.
John's. Pop. 246.
OUTRAM, a post village in Bruce co., Ont., 11 miles from Walkerton. It has a
saw mill. Pop. 150.
OVENS, a post village in Lunenburg co., N.S., situated at the entrance to
Lunenburg harbor, 4½ miles from Lunenburg (by boat). On entering the harbor the
mariner is attracted by a promontory 50 feet in height, which contains a dozen
or more cavities facing the sea, resembling "ovens." Hence the name to the
whole peninsula, ¾ miles wide by 1½ miles long, to which the gold mining
district is at present limited. The regularity at which these "ovens" occur
almost confutes the idea of their being merely created by the action of the
they appear rather to have been made by human efforts, though for what purpose,
unless for mining, it would be difficult to conjecture. Three of the ovens are
about 70 feet at the mouth and extend inwards upwards of 200 feet. The
discovery of gold in quartz was made here in 1861, but gold was obtained from
sea sand gathered on the shore in 1857 and 1859. The shore washings were
abandoned in 1802 after about 3,000 oz. had been obtained; it is stated that
the sands are still gold bearing and worth testing. The quartz lodes increase
in richness and in size as the depth increases. Very little quartz mining has,
however, been done. Pop. 200.
OVERTON, a post village in Addington co., Ont., 8£ miles from Napanee. Pop. 60.
OWEN SOUND, originally SYDENHAM, an incorporated town and port of entry of
Ontario, capital of the co. of Grey, situated on Georgian Bay, at the outlet of
the River Sydenham, and at the Grey terminus of' the T. G. & B. R., 44 miles
from Mount Forest, 131 miles N.W. of Toronto. It is pleasantly situated on a
small plain surrounded on three sides with wood crowned heights, and contains
manufactories of mill machinery, turbine water wheels, agricultural implements
and engines, sewing machines, leather, wooden ware of all descriptions, Canadian
Tweed and other woolen cloths, &c, also two breweries, two brickfields, flour
and saw mills, 5 large grain warehouses and elevators, and various smaller
works. Here are agencies of the Merchants and Molson's Banks, Montreal and
Dominion Telegraph companies, several insurance companies, a number of fine
stores, several pretty churches and good hotels, a commodious town hall, a court
house, gaol and registry office, three printing offices issuing weekly
newspapers. The harbor of Owen Sound is the best on Lake Huron. It is 12 miles
long from the town to its mouth, where it is 5 miles wide, and throughout its
entire length it is completely sheltered on both sides. It has good anchorage
ground and considerable depth of water, and is navigable for vessels of the
largest capacity on the lake. A large number of vessels are engaged in the grain
trade. Total value of imports for 1872 $23,603; exports $103. Pop. 3,039.
OWL'S HEAD, a beautiful mountain on Lake Memphremagog, about 6 miles from
Georgeville. There is a large hotel at its base, and a landing place for the
steamers plying between Magog and Newport.
OWL'S HEAD, a post village in Brome co., Que., 5 miles from Smith's Mills. Pop.
OXENDEN, a post village in Grey co., Ont., 30 miles from Owen Sound. Pop. 150.
OXFORD, a county in the S. part of Ontario, has an area of 385,009 acres. It is
traversed by the Great Western railway, which passes through Woodstock, its
capital, and by the Canada Southern railway. Pop. 48,237.
OXFORD, a post village in Cumber-land co., N.S., 3i miles from 'River Philip. It
contains woolen, edge tool and wooden ware factories, and several saw mills.
OXFORD, Essex co., Ont. See Oxley.
OXFORD CENTRE, a post village in Oxford co., Ont., 6 miles from Woodstock.
OXFORD COVE, a settlement in Northumberland co., N.B., 3 miles from Newcastle.
OXFORD MILLS, a thriving post village in Grenville co., Ont., on a branch of the
Rideau River, 5 miles from Kemptville. It has good water power, and contains a
2 hotels and several mills and stores. Pop. 150.
OXFORD STATION, a post village in Grenville co., Ont , on the St. L. & O. R ,
10} miles from Prescott. It has a telegraph office. Pop. 80.
OXLEY, or OXFORD, a post village in Essex co., Ont,, on Lake Erie, 20 miles
from Amhertsburg. It contains
3 stores and several mills. Pop. 150.
OYSTER POND, a small settlement
in Halifax co., N.S., 24 miles from Halifax. Pop. 40.
OYSTER PONDS, or GOOSE HARBOR, a post settlement in Guysborough co., N.S., on
Chedabucto Bay, 14 miles from Guysborough. Pop. 100.
Lovell's Gazetteer of British North America,
Edited by P.A. Crossby, 1873
Lovell's Gazetteer of British North America