Free Genealogy Forms
Family Group Chart
New Genealogy Data
Family Tree Search
Genealogy Books For Sale
British Isles Genealogy
FREE Web Site Hosting at
Hackett's Cove to Headingly, Canada
HACKETT'S COVE, a post office in Halifax co., N.S., 2 miles from
the head of St. Margaret's Bay.
HADLOW, a small village in Levis co., Que., on the G. T. R., 2 miles
from South Quebec. It contains a telegraph office, and locomotive
works and fitting shops belonging to the Grand Trunk railway. Pop.
HAGERMAN'S CORNERS, a hamlet in York co., Ont. It has an hotel.
HAGERSVILLE, a post village in Haldimand co., Ont, at the junction
of the Canada Southern and Hamilton and Lake Erie railways, 11 miles
from Hamilton, 10 miles from Cayuga. It contains an iron foundry, a
grist mill, a telegraph office, and 7 or 8 stores. Pop. 150.
HAGLE'S CORNERS, a small village in Oxford co., Ont., 3 miles from
Ingersoll. Pop. 50.
HA! HA1 BAY, Chicoutimi co., Que. See Grande Baie.
HALDIMAND, a county of Ontario, situated near the E. end of Lake
Ontario. Area 223,840 acre3. It is drained by the Grand River, and
traversed by the Grand Trunk, Great Western (Air Line), Canada
Southern, and Hamilton and Lake Erie railways. Pop 19,042
HALDIMAND, Haldimand' co., Ont. See Byng.
HALDIMAND, Northumberland co., Ont. See Grafton.
HALF ISLAND COVE, a post office in Guysborough co., N.S., on
Chedabucto Bay, 19 miles from Guysborough.
HALF WAY BROOK, a post office in Colchester, N.S., 13 miles from
HALF WAV RIVER, a post settlement in Cumberland co., N.S., on Half
Way river, 14 miles from Athol. Pop. 150.
HALIBURTON, a post village in Peterborough co., O it., at the head
of Lake Kashagawigamog, 19 miles from Minden. It contains a
telegraph office and 9 stores. Steamers ply between here and
Peterborough. Pop. 150.
HALIFAX, a city and seaport, capital of the province of Nova Scotia,
on the S. coast of that peninsula, nearly equal distant from its
N.E. and S.W. extremities, in lat. (dockyard tablet) 44°
59' 42 ' N., Ion. 63° 35 30 ' W.
It is situated on the W. side of Chebucto Bay, now called Halifax
Harbor, a deep inlet of the sea. The streets are spacious and cross
each other at right angles. Many of the houses are of wood,
plastered and stuccoed, but many also are handsomely built of stone.
There are 24 churches (including a Church of England Cathedral and a
Roman Catholic Cathedral), a large number of school houses, some of
which are elegantly built structures, 6 batiks, 2 branch banks, and
a savings bank, 1 city court house, 1 county court house, 1 gaol, 1
penitentiary, 1 fish market, 1 green do., and several private
markets for the sale of meat and general country produce, 2 or three
public halls, 2 large and handsome provincial buildings for public
offices, 3 club houses, 3 colleges, 2 barracks, 3 hospitals (1 city,
1 military and 1 naval,) 1 poor's asylum, 1 asylum for the blind,
about 20 hotels, a large number of stores (some of them fine
specimens of architecture), and manufactories of iron castings,
machinery of every description, agricultural implements, nails,
pails, fuse, gunpowder, cordage, boots and shoes, soap and candles,
leather, tobacco, paper, cotton and woolen goods, wooden ware, &c,
also a sugar refinery, distilleries of ruin, gin and whisky, and
breweries of porter and ale.
At the north end of the city is a large dockyard for the accommodation of Her
Majesty's ships of war. It covers 14 acres, and is one of the finest dock-yards
in the British colonies.
The harbor of Halifax is one of the best, perhaps the very best in the world.
It is G miles long, by, on an average, a mile wide ; the water is very clear and
capable of floating alongside the wharves vessels of the largest size. There is
excellent anchorage in every part of it. At the north end, the harbor is
connected by a narrow arm, called the Narrows, with Bedford Basin, a sheet of
water six miles by four in size, capable of containing all the navies of the
The city and harbor of Halifax are protected by 11 different fortifications, and
in every way the port is considered one of the safest and best on the globe.
Halifax is the chief naval station of British North America, and the only
station now occupied by troops. There are 2 regiments of the line, besides
artillery and engineers, stationed in the city. They have a large handsome and
comfortable brick barrack at the north end overlooking the harbor.
Opposite the city stands the pretty little town of Dartmouth. The scenery around
Halifax end Dartmouth is charming. The North West Arm, a narrow arm of the sea,
about 2 miles W. of the city, is very pretty ; this arm is about 3 miles long
and about | of a mile in width. Some pretty villas along its shores add
considerably to the natural beauty of the locality.
The city of Halifax is governed by a mayor and alderman, assisted by a
stipendiary magistrate and about 40 policeman. The streets are lighted with gas,
and the houses supplied with gas and water.
The city has extensive steam communication with various parts of the Dominion of
Canada, Prince Edward Island, Newfoundland, the United States, the West Indies,
and Great Britain. Railway lines connect it on the E. with Pictou and on the W.
with Annapolis, and with St. John, N.B., the United States and the provinces of
Quebec and Ontario. Halifax is the south eastern terminus of the Intercolonial
railway. There are owned here over 100 square rigged vessels, as many schooners,
and a host of small craft.
Halifax sends 2 members to the House of Commons and 2 to the Provincial
It is the seat of the Sees of the Anglican Bishop of Nova Scotia and Prince
Edward Island ; and of the Roman Catholic Archbishop of Halifax.
15 newspapers are issued in the city, 4 of which are daily, 5 sectarian, 1 the
advocate of temperance, and the rest political and general.
Halifax was originally called "Chedabucto" or "Chebucto," but in 1749, when it
was proclaimed the capital of Acadia, which then comprised Nova Scotia and New
Brunswick, it was called Halifax, in honor of the Earl of Halifax, an active
promoter of the enterprise which resulted in founding the city. In 1790 it
contained 700 houses and 4,000 inhabitants, in 1828 1,580 houses and 14,439
inhabitants, and in 1871, 4,326 houses and 29,582 inhabitants. The value of
assessed property in 1870 was $10,753,872.
The number of arrivals in 1872 was 1,387 (tons 363,847) and the clearances 1,024
(tons 290,527.) Total value of imports $10,655,079: exports $4,678,684
HALIFAX, an extensive county of Nova Scotia, bordering on the Atlantic Ocean It
is drained by the Shnbenacadie Musquodoboit, and other rivers, and over us
surface are scattered several considerable lakes. The in dentations of its coast
furnish as many as 6 or 7 harbors capable of receiving ships of the line,
besides numerous others visited by merchant vessels; its shores are thickly
studded with islands. A belt of high broken land, varying from 20 to 60 miles in
breadth, borders on the Atlantic, throughout the entire extent of the county,
beyond 'his the surface is moderately level Ores of lead are found near the
Shubenacadie river, and gold veins run through nearly the whole county. Slate
abounds in the vicinity of Halifax. The chief industry of the inhabitants is
directed to commerce, ship building, and the fisheries. Halifax is the most
populous county in Nova Scotia. Capital, Halifax. Area 1,342,032 acres. Pop.
17,653, or, including the city of Halifax. 56,933.
HALIFAX, Megantic co., Que. See St. Ferdinand.
HALLERTON. a post village in Huntingdon co., Que.. 5 miles from Hemmingford. It
contains 2 stores. Pop. 150.
HALLOWAY, a post village in Hastings co., Ont., 11 miles from Belleville. It
contains several mills and cheese factories. Pop. 100.
HALL'S BRIDGE, a post office in Peterborough co., Ont., 12 miles from Lakefield
HALL'S CORNERS, Wentworth co., Ont. See Binbrook.
HALL'S HARBOR, a post village in Kings co., N.S. , on the Bay of Fundy, 12
miles from Kentville. It contains 2 stores. Pop. 150.
HALL'S ISLANDS, North West Territories, are at the W. entrance of Frobisher
Strait, in lat. 63° N.. lon. 56° W.
HALTON, a county of Ontario, on Lake Ontario. Area 237,983 acres It is traversed
by the Grand Trunk and Great Western railways. Capital, Mil? ton Pop 22,606
HALTONVILLE, a village in Halton co., Ont. 8 miles from Rockwood. Pop. 100
HAM, or SOUTH HAM, a post village in Wolfe co , Que. 24 miles from Danville.
HAMBURG or HAM'S CORNERS, a post village in Lennox co., Ont., 7 miles from
Napanee. Pop 50.
HAMBURG Elgin co , Ont See Mount Salem.
HAMILTON, a city of Ontario, capital of the co. of Wentworth, is situated on
Burlington Bay, at the western extremity of Lake Ontario, 372 miles W.S.W of
Montreal, 186 miles E.N.E of Detroit, and 70 miles N W of Buffalo.
It was laid out and settled in 1813 by a person of the name of Hamilton. It is
built on a plateau of slightly elevated ground, winding around the foot of a
hilly range, which extends from Niagara Falls, and which here receives the name
of "the mountain.' The streets are wide, and for the most part cross each other
at right angles, those extending back from the Bay having a direction nearly
south and north King street, the principal thoroughfare, runs E. and W.
throughout the entire breadth of the town. Near the centre of the street is a
large open space, and a little north is Market square, on which stands a
spacious building, occupied in the lower part as a market, while its upper
storey's are appropriated to the various purposes of the city government. Court
House square, an area containing the county buildings, lies between King street
and the mountain.
The banks and many of the churches and stores are handsome structures. On the
rising ground approaching the mountain are many elegant residences.
The city contains 23 churches, viz : 5 Episcopal, 1 Roman Catholic (cathedral),
4 Presbyterian, 2 Baptist 4 Wesleyan Methodist, 2 Methodist Episcopal, 1 New
Connexion Methodist. 1 Congregational,! German Lutheran, J Primitive Methodist,
1 Plymouth Brethren, and a Jewish Synagogue , and also the head office of the
Bank of Hamilton, 5 branch banks, a number of assurance and insurance agencies,
a mechanics institute, a reading room, 2 telegraph agencies, a Wesleyan Female
College, and several academics and schools, several saw and grist mills, and
manufactories of iron castings, machinery of every description, agricultural
implements, sewing machines, musical instruments, glassware, woodenware, woolen
and cotton goods, soap and candles, boots and shoes, leather, brooms, brushes,
&c. In it are published 2 daily and 3 weekly newspapers.
Hamilton is the seat of the Great Western Railway Company, chartered in 1834 ;
and of the Wellington, Grey and Bruce Railway Company. The latter connects the
city with Lake Huron, and the former with all parts of the Dominion and United
States. The head offices of the Hamilton and Lake Erie railway are also here.
It is also the seat of the Sees of the Anglican Bishop of Western Toronto, and
of the Roman Catholic Bishop of Hamilton.
The city was first lighted with gas in January, 1851. It possesses superior
commercial advantages, being 'at the head of navigation on the lake, and in the
centre of the most populous and best cultivated regions of the province. Its
trade was greatly facilitated by the construction of the Desjardins canal in
1823-24; but the crowning triumph of its commercial prosperity was the opening
of the Great Western railway.
Hamilton sends 2 members to the House of Commons and 2 to the Provincial
Legislature. It is a port of entry. Total value of imports for 1872, $5,665,259
; exports $805,526. Pop. 1836, 2,846; 1846,6,822; 1850, 10,248 ; 1861, 19,096;
HAMILTON, an island in the Ottawa river, off the township of Lochaber, co. of
Ottawa, Que. It is 1 mile in length.
HAMILTON, a post village in Peterborough co., Out. It contains 1 store.
HAMILTON'S MOUNTAIN, a settlement in Queens co., N.B., 29 miles from St. John.
HAMLET, a post office in Lanark co. Ont, 9 miles from Perth.
HAMMETTSHOLM, a post office in York co., Ont., 11 miles from Aurora.
HAMMOND, a post village in Perth co., Ont., 6½
miles from Newry. Pop. 100.
HAMMOND PLAIN, Halifax co., N.S. See English Corner.
HAMMOND RIVER, a post settlement in Kings co., N.B., on the I. R., 17 miles from
St. John. It has 2 saw and 2 grist mills. The station is called Nauwigewauk.
HAMMOND VALE, or UPHAMVALE, a post village in Kings co., N.B., 13 miles from
Sussex. Pop. 200.
HAMS CORNERS, Lennox co., Ont. See Hamburg.
HAMPSTEAD, a post office in Perth co., Ont, 6 miles from Shakspeare.
HAMPSTEAD, a post village in Queens co., N.B., on the River St. John, 36
miles from St John. It contains 3 stores, a fulling mill, several saw and gust
mills, and an excellent stone quarry. Steamers plying on the St. John call here.
HAMPTON, a small village in Queens co , P E.I., 22 miles from Charlottetown Pop.
HAMPTON, a thriving post village in Durham co., Ont., 5 miles from Bowmanviile
It contains 3 stores, several mills, a tannery, and a telegraph office Pop. 400.
HAMPTON, the chief town of the county of Kings, N B., is situated on the
Kennebaccasis River, and on the I. R., 22 miles from St. John. It contains the
county buildings, and several mills, stores and hotels. Pop. 200.
HAMPTON, or CARDIGAN SETTLEMENT, a post settlement in Tone co., N.B., 12 miles
from Fredericton. Pop. 150.
HAMPTON, Annapolis co., N.S. See Chute's Cove.
HANFORD BROOK, a post office in Kings co., N.B., 19 miles from Hampton.
HANNON, a post village in Went-worth co., Ont., 6| miles from Hamilton. Pop.
HANOVER, a thriving post village in Grey co., Out., on the Saugeen river, 6
miles from Walkerton. It has excellent water power, and contains saw and grist
mills, a woolen factory, carding mill, an iron foundry, 4 stores, a tannery, and
a telegraph office. Pop. 700.
HANTS, a county in the interior of Nova Scotia, bordering on Minas and
Cobequid Bays. The surface is much diversified with mountains and valleys. The
underlying rock is the Permean sandstone of the coal measures, and whole hills
are filled with gypsum. Capital, Windsor. Area 753,000 acres. Pop. 21,301.
HANTS HARBOR, a post town and port of entry ; in the district of Trinity, Nfld.,
12 mile's from Heart's Content, The inhabitants are engaged in shipbuilding and
farming, as well as in the fishery. Pop. 730.
HANTSPORT, a thriving post Tillage in Hants co., N.S., on the Avon river, and on
the W. & A. R., 7 miles from Windsor. It contains several factories and
shipyards, carding and gristmills, excellent freestone quarries, a telegraph
office, and 8 or 9 stores. Pop. 700.
HANWELL, a post settlement in York co., N.B., 10 miles from Fredericton. Pop.
HAPPY ADVENTURE, a small fishing settlement and harbor on the west side of
Bonavista Bay, Nfld., 2 miles from Barrow Harbor. Pop. 50.
HARBOR AU BOUCHE, a post settlement in Antigonish co. ; N.S., on St. George's
Bay, 30 miles from Antiggush. Vessels of 200 tons can anchor with safety in this
harbor. Population, chiefly engaged in the fisheries, about 700.
HARBOR BRITON, a post town and port of entry, capital of Fortune Bay, Nfld., 240
miles from St. John's, with which city it has communication by steamer. It is a
place of considerable trade, and has a fine harbor. The circuit court sits here
every autumn. Pop. 360.
HARBOR BUFFETT, a large fishing settlement in the district of Placentia and St.
Marys, Nfld., on Long Island, 16 miles from Little Placentia. Pop. 333.
HARBOR DE VEAUX, a fishing station on the French shore, Nfld., 10 miles from
Croque. Pop. 16.
HARBOR GALLEY, a small fishing settlement in the district of Fortune Bay, Nfld ,
17 miles from Harbor Briton. Pop. 15.
HARBOR GRACE, (after St. John s the most important town of Newfoundland,) the
capital of the district of Harbor Grace, is situated on the N. side of
Conception Bay, 20 miles from Portugal Cove. It has a pretty appearance from the
harbor, but lacks public buildings of any consequence except a Roman Catholic
cathedral, the dome of which forms a prominent object in entering the port. The
harbor is about 5 miles in extent but its irregular shape leaves it exposed to
the sea with the exception of the site where the wharves are built. The wharves
are sheltered by a beach, allowing vessels to lie in perfect security in all
weathers. On the beach is a lighthouse exhibiting a powerful revolving light.
Harbor Grace is a town of considerable trade, nearly one fourth of the business
of the whole island being done here. It is a port of entry, and contains a
number of stores, several hotels, a telegraph office, and a printing office
issuing a weekly newspaper. It is the seat of the See of a Roman Catholic
Bishop. Pop. 6,770.
HARBOR LE COW, a settlement in the district of Burgeo and La Poile, Nfld., H
miles from Rose Blanche. Pop. 181.
HARBOR MAIN, the capital of the district of Harbor Main, Nfld., is situated at
the head of Conception Bay. It is a large fishing settlement. Farming is also
engaged in. Pop. 670.
HARBOR MILLE, a small settlement in the district of Fortune Bay, Nfld., 32 miles
from Garnish. Copper ore is found here. Pop. 95.
HARBOR ROAD, a post settlement in Antigonish co., N.S., on the S. side of Cape
George, 5 miles from Antigonish. Pop. 250.
HARBOR ROUND, a small fishing station on the French shore, Nfld., 8 miles from
La Scie. Pop 3.
H ARBOR V1LLE, a post village in Kings co., N.S., on the Bay of Fundy, 10 miles
from Berwick. It has a good export trade in cordwood and potatoes, and contains
4 stores and several shipyards. Pop. 250.
HARCOURT, a post office in Renfrew co., Ont., 8 miles from Renfrew.
HARCOURT, a township in Kent co., N B. It is intersected by the Intercolonial
railway, and abounds with well timbered, well watered and good farming lands.
HARDINGE, a post village in Addington co., Ont. 69 miles from Napanee Pop. 40.
HARDWICKE, or FRENCH VILLAGE, a post settlement in Northumberland co.. N.B., 28
mile3 from Chatham. Pop. 75.
HARDWICKE ISLAND, British Columbia, in Queen Charlotte Sound.
HARDWOOD HILL, a settlement in Pictou co., N.S., 5 miles from Pictou Pop. 200.
HARDWOOD LANDS, a post village in Colchester co., N.S., 6½
miles from Shubenacadie.
HARE BAY, a small fishing settlement in the district of Bonavista, Nfld , at the
entrance of Freshwater Bay, 23 miles from Green's Pond Pop 23
HARE BAY, a small fishing settlement in the district of Twillingate and Fogo,
Nfld ,3 miles from Fogo. Pop 110
HARE ISLAND, an island in the St. Lawrence, 96 miles N.E. of Quebec, 8 milts
long by half a mile broad.
HAREWOOD, a post settlement in Westmorland co , N B , 13 miles from
Salisbury. Pop 50
HARGRAVE, or HAVELOCK or BRYSON, an incorporated village in Pontiac co , Que.,
on the River Ottawa. 8 miles from Portage du Fort It contains a telegraph
office, 2 churches. a saw and grist mill, 9 stores. 4 hotels and a printing
office issuing a weekly newspaper. Pop 200
HARLEM, a post village in Leeds co., Ont., 26 miles from Brockville It contains
2 stores, 1 hotel, a grist mill and a snath factory. Pop. 150
HARLEY, or DERBY, a post village in Brant co., Out., 14 miles from Brantford. It
contains 2 stores and 1 hotel. Pop. 100.
HARLOCK, a post office in Huron CO., Ont., 11 miles from Seaforth.
HARLOWE, a post office in Adding-ton co., Ont., 7 miles from Cloyne.
HARMONY, a post village in Perth co., Ont., 4 miles from Stratford. It contains
a woolen mill and a grist mill. Pop. 80.
HARMONY, a small village in Queens co., N.S., 40 miles from Annapolis. Pop. 150.
HAROLD, a post village in Hastings CO., Ont., 22 miles from Belleville. It
contains 2 saw mills. Pop. 150.
HARPER, a post village in Lanark co., Ont., 7 miles from Perth. Pop. 100.
HARPLEY, a post office in Huron CO., Ont., 7 miles from Park Hill.
HARPURHEY, a post office in Huron co., Out., l½
miles from Seaforth.
HARRIETSVILLE, a post village in Middlesex co., Ont., 8 miles from Dorchester
Station It contains a large cheese factory. Pop. 120
HARR1GAN COVE, a post settlement in Halifax co., N.S., 91 miles N.E. of Halifax.
HARRINGTON EAST, a post village in Argenteuil co.. Que., 16 miles from
Grenville. It possesses good water power and has a grist mill. Pop. 100.
HARRINGTON WEST a post village in Oxford co. Ont on a branch of the
Thames, 7 miles from Stratford. It contains 3 stores, a saw mill, a grist mill,
and a cabinet factory. Pop 130
HARR1SBURG a post village in Brant co., Out., on the G. W R at its junction with
the W. G & B R., 19 miles from Hamilton It contains several stores and hotels,
and a telegraph office Pop 200.
HARRISON'S, a village in Simcoe co. Ont , on the N R. 68 miles from Toronto It
contains a saw mill. Pop 60.
HARRISONS CORNERS, a post office in Cornwall co Ont 5 miles from Mille
HARRISTON, a nourishing post village in Wellington co. Ont., on a branch of the
Maidland river, and on the W G. & B and T G & B R's., 35 miles from Elora, 198
miles from Toronto It contains a telegraph office, a newspaper office. 3
churches, 4 hotels, about 20 stores. 2 saw mills, 2 shingle mills 2 planing
mills. 2 woolen mills, 2 cabinet factories, 2 foundries and agricultural works 1
flouring mill, &c. Pop. 1,000.
HARROW, or MUNGER'S, a pest village in Essex co. Ont., 13 miles from Amherstburg
It contains a telegraph office, a saw and grist mill, 3 stores and an hotel.
HARROWSMITH, or PIKE'S CORNER'S, a post village in Frontenac co., Ont., on the
Kingston and Pembroke railway, 18 miles from Kingston. It contains a telegraph
office, 3 stores, 2 hotels and 2 shingle mills. Pop. 300.
HARTFORD, a post village in Norfolk co., Ont., 9 miles from Waterford. Pop. 100
HARTFORD, a village in Yarmouth co., N.S., on the sea coast, 6 miles from
Yarmouth. It contains a grist mill. Pop. 150.
HARTINGTON. a post village in Addington co., Ont., 18¼
miles from Kingston. It contains 2 stores and a saw mill. Pop. 40.
HARTLAND, or BECAGUIMEC, a post village and settlement in Carleton co., N.B., on
the St. John river, and on the New Brunswick railway, 61 miles from Fredericton,
12 miles from Woodstock. It contains 2 stores, 1 hotel and a tannery. Pop. 400.
HARTLEY, a post village in Victoria co., Ont., 7½
miles from Cambray. Pop. 150.
HARTMAN, a post village in York co., Ont., 9 miles from Stouffville. It contains
a store and a sawmill.
HARVEY, a post village in Albert co., N.B., on a headland in the Bay of Fundy,
43 miles from Salisbury. Pop. 150.
HARVEY CREEK, a post office in the district of Cariboo, B. C.
HARVEY HILL MINES, a thriving post village in Megantic co., Que., 6 miles from
Leeds, 36 miles from Craig's Road. It contains productive copper mines. Pop.
HARVEY STATION, a post village in York co., N.B., on the E. & N. A. R., 20 miles
W. of Fredericton Junction. It contains 3 stores. Pop. 200.
HARWICH, or McKAY'S CORNERS, a post village in Kent co., Ont., 9½
miles from Thamesville. Pop. 100.
HARWOOD, a thriving post village in Northumberland co., Ont., on Rice Lake,
and on the C. P. & M. R.,16 miles from Cobourg. It has communication by steamer
with Peterborough and ports on Rice. Lake and River Trent, and contains a saw
mill, 2 stores, 2 hotels, and a telegraph office. Pop. 400.
HASEVILLE, a post office in Missisquoi co., Que., 10 miles from Stanbridge East.
HASTINGS, a county in the central part of Ontario, comprises an area of
1,495,971 acres, and is interspersed with numerous small lakes and rivulets, and
traversed by the Grand Trunk railway. Gold is found in the interior. Chief town,
Belleville. Pop. 48,304.
HASTINGS, a post settlement in Cumberland co., N.S., 9 miles from Amherst. Pop.
HASTINGS, Hastings co., Ont. See Madoc.
HASTINGS, or CROOK'S RAPIDS, a flourishing post village in Peterborough co.,
Ont., on the River Trent, 24 miles from Peterborough, 25 miles from Colburne. It
possesses unsurpassed water power, and contains large cotton, woolen, and
flouring mills, 2 iron foundries, about 15 stores, 3 hotels and a telegraph
office. Pop. 100.
HASTINGS or UPPER SALMON RIVER, a post settlement in Albert co., N.B., on
Salmon River, a stream falling into the Bay of Fundy, 28 miles from Penobsquis.
HATLEY, or CHARLESTON, also called EAST HATLEY, a post village in Stanstead
co., Que., 5 miles from Ayer's Flats. It contains several stores. Pop. 300.
HATTER'S POINT, a small fishing settlement in the district of Burgeo and La
Poile, Nfld., 16 miles from Burgeo. Pop. 40.
HATTVILLE, Prescott co., Ont. See Plantagenet.
HAULTAIN, a post office in Peterborough co., Ont., 30 miles from Peterborough.
HAUT ILE, or HARE ISLAND, a small island in the Bay of Fundy, 8 miles S. W. of
HAVELOCK, or NEW TUSKET, a post village in Digby co., N.S., on the Tusket River,
and on the Annapolis and Yarmouth rail way (in course of construction), 35 miles
from Annapolis. It contains 2 churches, 2 stores and 21 saw mills. Pop. 500.
HAVELOCK., a post village in Peterborough co., Ont., 8 miles from Norwood.
HAVELOCK, a settlement in Annapolis co., N.S., on the summit of the North
Mountain, 8 miles from Lawrencetown. Pop. 100.
HAVELOCK, Pontiac co., Que. See Bryson.
HAWKESBIJRY, an incorporated village in Prescott co., Ont., on the River
Ottawa, 2 miles from Grenville, with which it has communication by ferry. It
contains extensive saw mills, woolen, grist and planing mills, telegraph and
insurance agencies, 6 stores and 2 hotels, and has a very largo lumber trade.
HAWKESBURY ISLAND, of British Columbia, is formed by an inlet of the Pacific
Ocean, in lat. 53° 30' N., Ion. 129°
HAWKSTONE, a post village in Simcoe co., Ont., on Lake Simcoe, and on the N.R.,
(Muskoka branch,) 14 miles from Barrie. It contains a telegraph office. Pop. 70.
HAWKESVILLE, a post village in Waterloo co., Ont., on the Conestogo river, 12
miles from Berlin. It contains 4 stores, 3 hotels, 2 woolen factories, 1 grist
mill, a telegraph office, and about 500 inhabitants.
HAWTREY, a post village in Oxford eo., Out., on the C. S. R., 36 miles from
Cayuga. It contains 2 stores and a saw mill. Pop. 100.
HAY, or FRANCESTON, a post village in Huron co., Ont., 20 miles from Clinton.
HAY DON, or CHARLESVILLE, a post village in Durham co., Ont., on Big Creek, 9½
miles from Bowmanville. It contains several grist mills. Pop. 200.
HAYESLAND, a post village in Wentworth co., Ont., 11 miles from Hamilton.
HAYNESVILLE, a station on the New Brunswick railway, in York co., N. B., 36
miles from Fredericton.
HAY'S RIVER, a post settlement in Inverness co., N.S., 4 miles from Port
Hood. Pop. 100.
HAYSVILLE, a post village in Waterloo co., Ont., on Smith's Creek, 3 miles
from New Hamburg. It contains a woolen factory, grist mill, linseed oil mill,
cheese factory, 3 stores and 2 hotels. Pop. 300.
HAYSTACK, a small fishing settlement in the district of Placentia and St.
Marys Nfld., 20 miles from Little Placentia. Pop. 49.
HAYWARD'S COVE, a small fishing settlement in Bonavista Bay, Nfld., on
Cotterell's Island, 8 miles from Green's Pond. Pop.
HAZEL GROVE, a post village in Queens co., P.E.I., 18 miles from
Charlottetown. It has 1 hotel and 2 grist mills. Pop. 130.
HAZLEDEAN, a post village in Carleton co., Ont., 3 miles from Stittsville.
HEADFORD, a post village in York co., Ont., on a branch of the River Rouge,
21 miles from Richmond Hill. It contains a carding mill. Pop. 50.
HEADINGLY, a post village in the district of Selkirk, Man., on the River
Assiniboine, 13 miles from Fort Garry. It contains 1 store.
Lovell's Gazetteer of British North America,
Edited by P.A. Crossby, 1873
Lovell's Gazetteer of British North America