Free Genealogy Forms
Family Group Chart
New Genealogy Data
Family Tree Search
Genealogy Books For Sale
British Isles Genealogy
FREE Web Site Hosting at
Vyner to Vachell, Canada
VACHELL, or EGYPT, a post village in York co., Ont.,
13 miles from Bell Ewart. Pop. 175.
VAILLANCOURT, or ST. PAMPHILE, a post village in L'Islet co., Que.,
33 miles from St. Jean Port Joli. Pop. 70.
VALCARTIER, a post village and parish in Quebec co., Que., 17 miles
from Quebec. It has a Roman Catholic church and 2 stores. Pop. 737.
VALCOURT, formerly ST. JOSEPH D'ELY, a post village in Shefford co.,
Que. 20 miles from Waterloo. It has 2 stores and a saw and grist
mill. Pop. 80.
VALDES, an island of British Columbia, in the Gulf of Georgia, lat.
50° N, lon. 125° 2' W. It is the largest of all the islands in the
vicinity, and along with Vancouver's forms the continuation of the
gulf, which is also called "Discovery Passage." There is a village
upon it, seated on the summit of a steep, sandy cliff about 100 feet
VALENTIA, a post office in Victoria co., Ont., 15 miles from
VALLENTYNE, a post village in Ontario co., Ont., 5 miles from
Sunderland. Pop. 100.
VALETTA, a post village in Kent co., Ont., 15 miles from Charing
Cross. It contains a saw mill and 2 stores. Pop. 75.
VALLETORT, or ST. SEBASTIEN D'AYLMER, a post village in Beauce co.,
Que., 8 miles from Lambton, 44 miles from St. Francois. It contains
several saw and grist mills, and 2 stores. Pop. 175.
VALLEYFIELD, a flourishing post village of Quebec, co. of
Beauharnois, near the head of Beauharnois Canal, 6 miles from Coteau
Landing. It possesses extensive water power, and contains a large
paper mill, a woolen factory, several saw and grist mills, a
telegraph office, 3 hotels, and about a dozen stores. Pop. 2,000.
VALLEYFIELD. a post village in Queens co., P.E.I., on the Prince
Edward Island railway, 20 miles from Charlottetown. It contains 2
stores and a grist mill. Pop. 100.
VANBRUGH, a post office and telegraph station in Renfrew co., Ont.,
33 miles from Renfrew.
VALMONT, or NOTRE DAME DU MONT CARMEL, a post village in Champlain
co., Que., 19 miles from Three Rivera.
VANATTER, a post office in Wellington co., Ont., 5 miles from
VANCOUVER or QUADRA AND VANCOUVER, an island off the W. coast of the
Dominion of Canada, province of British Columbia. Lat. 48° 19' to 50
53 N.. Ion. 123° 1 7 to 128 28'
W. Length from N.W. to S E. 278 miles; breadth varying from 50 to 65
miles. Total area 15,037 square miles (about half the size of
Ireland). On the E. and N.E. it is separated from British Columbia
by the Gulf of Georgia and Queen Charlotte's Sound, and on the S.
from that of the United States by the Strait of San Juan-de-Fuca; on
the N. and W. it lies open to the North Pacific This Island was
discovered by Juan de Fuca, a Greek, in 1592. Captain Cook coasted
along the western shore in 1778, and supposed it to form part of the
mainland. The first British settlement was made at Nootka Sound in
1778, by some London merchants. Spain, however, bid claim to the
west coast of America, south of 60°,
and her cruisers seized the British trading vessels. To resent this
a large fleet was assembled at Spithead but war was avoided by the
concession of Spain. In 1792 the island was visited by Vancouver, a
lieutenant in the British Navy, who minutely surveyed the whole
coast line, and so accurately, that his charts are in use to the
present day. Up to the discussion of the Ore-gon boundary question
it attracted little attention, when, by the treaty of 1846, it was
vested in Great Britain. In 1849 it was granted to the Hudson's Bay
Company for the purposes of colonization, but their control ceased
in 1859, when the island became a British Colony, under a complete
form of government. In 1866 the Island and the mainland were united
under the name of British Columbia, and so continued until I he 20th
of July, 1871, at which date that large and beautiful colony became
one of the provinces of the Dominion of Canada. Vancouver Island is
noted for its rich coal mines, its magnificent harbors, its valuable
free stone quarries, its delightful climate, and its forests of fine
timber. Gold has also been found but in small quantity. Victoria, at
the S.E. extremity of the Island, is the capital of British
VANDECAR, a post village in Oxford co., Out., 10 miles from
Woodstock. Pop. 100.
VANDELEUR, a post office in Grey Co., Ont., on Beaver river, 9 miles
VANKLEEK HILL, a thriving post village in Prescott co., Ont., 29
miles from Riviere Raisin, 18 miles from Point Fortune. It contains
churches of 5 or 6 denominations, 1 grammar school, 2 common
schools, a telegraph office, about 12 stores, manufactories of pot
and pearl ashes, iron castings, cloth, &c.; and steam flour and saw
mills. Pop. 700.
VANKOUGHNET, a post office in Victoria co., Ont., 16 miles from
VANNECK, a post village in Middlesex co.. Ont., 8½
miles from Ailsa Craig. Pop. 100.
VANVLACK, a post village in Sim-coe co., Ont., 13 miles from
Stayner. Pop. 175.
VAN WINKLE, a post village in the district of Cariboo. B.C., 12
miles from Barkerville, 440 miles from New Westminster. Exceedingly
rich gold mines are worked here.
VARENNES, a thriving post village in Vercheres co., Que., on the S.
shore of the St. Lawrence, 18 miles below Montreal. Its beautiful
situation and excellent mineral springs makes it a delightful summer
resort. It contains a church, convent, college, several flour and
saw mills, 6 or 7 stores, and a telegraph office. Pop. 501.
VARNA, a post village in Huron co., Ont , near Bayfield river, 12½
miles from Seaforth. It contains a telegraph office, 4 stores, and a
saw and grist mill. Pop. 200.
VARNEY, or ENNISKILLEN, a post village in Grey co., Ont., 13 miles
from Mount Forest. Pop. 100.
VASEY, a post village in Simcoe co., Ont., 25 miles from Barrie.
VAUBAN, a post village in Temiscouata co., Que., 33 miles from
Riviere du Loup en has. Pop. 50.
VAUDREUIL, a county of Quebec, situated in the S.W. part of the
province, bounded on the S.E. by the St. Lawrence River, and on the
N. by the Lake of Two Mountains. It is watered by the River DeLisle
and several other streams, and traversed by the Grand Trunk railway.
Area 116,500 acres. Pop. 11,003.
VAUDREUIL, a thriving post village of Quebec, capital of the above
county, on the River St. Lawrence, and on the G. T. R., 24£ miles W.
of Montreal. It contains a church, convent, telegraph office, saw
mill, 4 hotels and 6 stores, and in the vicinity are beds of bog
iron ore, ochre, phosphate of iron, and sandstone. Pop. 1,000.
VAUGHAN'S, or WATERVILLE, a village in Hants co., N.S., 15 miles
from Windsor. Pop. 150,
VEIGHTON, a post village in Russell co., Out., 16 miles from
Cumberland. Pop. 80.
VELLORE, a post village in York co., Ont., 3½
miles from Richmond Hill. Pop. 100.
VENICE, a post village in Missisquoi co., Que., 8 miles from Des
Rivieres. Pop. 120.
VENNACHAR, a post village in Addington co., Ont., 71 miles from
Perth. Pop. 60.
VENOSTA, a post office in Ottawa co., Que., 46 miles from Ottawa.
VENTNOR, or ADAM'S MILLS, a post village in Grenville co., Out., on
the Petite Nation river, 4 miles from Spencerville. It contains 4
saw and 2 grist mills. Pop. 150.
VENTRY, a post village in Grey co., Ont., 23 miles from Mount
VERCHERES, a county in the S.W. part of Quebec, bounded by the St.
Lawrence on the W. and the Richelieu on the E. Area 124,812 acres.
Capital, Vercheres. Pop. 12,717.
VERCHERES, a thriving post village of Quebec, capital of the. co. of
Vercheres, on the S. shore of the St. Lawrence, 24 miles below
Montreal. It contains a church, college, convent, 7 or 8 stores, a
telegraph office, an iron foundry, 2 tanneries, and a saw and
gristmill. Pop. 900.
VERDUN, a post office in Bruce co., Ont., 12 miles from Kincardine.
VEREKER, a post office in Essex co., Ont., 7 miles from Amherstburg.
VERNAL, a post office in Antigonish co., N.S., 4 miles from St.
VERNON, a post village in Russell co., Ont.,6 miles from Osgoode.
VERNON RIVER, a post village in Queens co., P.E.I., on a river of
the same name, 14£ miles from Charlottetown. It contains an hotel
and 3 stores. Pop. 125.
VERNON RIVER BRIDGE, a post village in Queens co., P.E.I., on Vernon
river, 14 miles from Charlottetown. It contains a shipyard and
several stores. Pop. 150.
VERNONVILLE, a post village in Northumberland co., Ont., 14 miles
from Grafton. Pop. 100.
VERONA, a post village in Addington co., Ont., at the head of the
Napanee river, and on the Kingston and Pembroke railway, 24 miles
from Kingston. Pop. 40.
VERSAILLES, or SOIXANTE, a post village in Iberville co., Que., on
the S. S. & C.R., 7 miles from St. Johns. Pop. 150.
VERSCHOYLE, a post village in Oxford co., Ont., 6½
miles from Ingersoll. Pop. 175.
VESTA, a post village in Bruce co., Ont., 8 miles from Paisley. Pop.
VICARS, or McLEAN'S CORNERS, a post village in Huntingdon co., Que.,
8 miles from Hemmingford. It contains an hotel and 2 stores. Pop.
VICTORIA, a county in the N.W. part of Ontario, near Lake Simcoe.
Area 835,548 acres. It contains several small lakes, and is
intersected by two railroads. Capital, Lindsay. Pop. 30,200.
VICTORIA, a county of New Brunswick, in the N. part of the province,
bordering on the State of Maine and on the province of Quebec. Area
2,234,-000 acres. The surface is rolling and varied, but remarkably
fertile, even to the tops of the hills. The country is drained by
the St. John, St. Francis, Madawaska, and Tobique rivers, besides
numerous other streams. The route of the Frederic on and Riviere du
Loup Railway (in course of construction) traverses it. Capital,
Grand Falls. Pop. 11,641.
VICTORIA, a county of Nova Scotia, on the Island of Cape Breton,
between the counties of Cape Breton and Inverness. Area 767,000
acres. The north western part is mountainous, and but scantily
settled ; the south west is better adapted for agriculture, and the
soil particularly good in many parts. The county abounds in
minerals, coal. iron and salt, which, with excellent building stone,
are abundant ; gold and silver have been discovered in many places,
but no mines have been opened. Capital, Baddeck. Pop. 11,-346.
VICTORIA, a post settlement in Cumberland co., N.S., 8 miles from
Thomson. Pop. 100.
VICTORIA, a post village and settlement in Carleton co., N.B., 8
miles from Woodstock. It contains an hotel, a tannery, and 2 stores.
VICTORIA, a settlement in Sunbury co., N.B., 9 miles from Oromocto.
VICTORIA, a thriving post village in Queens co., P.E.I., at the
mouth of Crapaud River, 23 miles from Charlottetown. It contains an
hotel and several stores. Pop. 200.
VICTORIA, a village in Peel co., Ont., 8 miles from Brampton. Pop.
VICTORIA, formerly RAGTOVVN, a village in Brant co., Ont., 5 miles
from Princeton. Pop. 50.
VICTORIA, the seat of Government and capital of British Columbia, is
situated near the S.E. extremity of Vancouver Island, where the
adjoining Strait of Fuca is 17 miles in breadth, 143 miles from
Olympia (Puget'sSound), 320 miles from Portland (Oregon),3,000 miles
from Montreal. Lat. 48° 25' 20" N., Lon. 123°
22' 34" W.
The surroundings of Victoria are singularly beautiful. To the south
is a wide stretch of sea, closed in by the magnificent range of the
Olympian mountain's. These mountains, the lower portion of which is
shaded with a soft velvety mist, and the tops covered with snow
strongly reflecting the rays of the sun, form the most prominent
feature in the landscape. To the eastward is Mount Baker, which, at
a distance of nearly 100 miles, rears its snowy peak far away into
the clouds. To the west-ward is a long wide stretch of sea, bounded
on one side by the Olympian range and on the other by the rocks and
mountains of Vancouver, jutting out here and there into the Strait;
while to the northward are ranges of hills and mountains, prominent
amongst which, and within 5 or 6 miles of the town, are the peaks of
Mount Tolmie and Cedar Mountain. From these heights the most
beautiful panoramic-views of the southern end of the Island, the
surrounding ocean, the Olympian range and the coast range on the
mainland far away to the westward may be obtained.
The country in the neighborhood of Victoria is remarkably
picturesque. Natural parks— in which there are numbers of fine old
oaks, and a profusion of ferns and wild roses, little inlets, bays,
and beaches, jutting rocks, and the fine scenery of the back-ground
combine to render it one of the most lovely spots on the earth.
This, together with its magnificent climate, which is beautifully
clear, cool and fresh during the whole summer season, and very mild
in winter, must in the future render it a place of great resort.
Three miles from Victoria is the harbor of Esquimault, one of the
finest on the Pacific coast, and the western terminus of the Canada
Pacific railway. There is here a naval station, at which there are
generally two or three ships of war. A graving dock is in
contemplation, capable of admitting ships of the largest size,
tenders for the construction of which have been invited by the
Provincial Government. An excellent macadamized road connects the
The city boasts of some good streets, with fine drives, over
excellent roads, in various directions. Adjoining the town a large
extent of ground has been reserved for a public park. This
picturesque locality, known as Beacon Hill, borders on the Strait.
Here is the public race course, and cricket ground. On the outskirts
of the town are many attractive residences; and every cottage
displays its pretty garden.
Though Victoria can boast of no architectural pretensions, there are
many neat and substantially constructed buildings, among them maybe
mentioned the Provincial offices on James' Bay; the Presbyterian,
Wesley-an and Roman Catholic churches; a Jewish Synagogue ; Christ
Church Cathedral; the iron church of St. John, a donation to the
Episcopalian congregation of the Province from the Baroness Coutts;
the Angela College for young ladies, from the same excellent lady;
the St. Anne's Convent and Orphan School; the Masonic Building; the
Mechanics Institute, Bank of British North America, the St. Nicholas
hotel, Alhambra, and Driard House, a public Hospital, and a Theatre.
Various public buildings are to be erected by the Dominion
Two daily and two weekly news-papers are published in Victoria.
The city is adequately supplied with gas by an incorporated company
; and with water, by pipes laid down by another company,
supplemented by carts— the source of supply being certain springs on
a ridge near the town. A bill has passed the last session of the
legislature authorizing the Municipal Council to bring water from a
bike, distant some 6 miles from the town. This will cost $100,000.
Th -re is constant telegraphic communication between Europe and
Victoria, by way of New York and San Francisco. The line which
crosses the southern part of the Gulf of Georgia to Victoria by a
submerged cable, has a branch extending to the verge of the Cariboo
region, a distance of 569 miles.
Victoria contains about 40 stores, 4 breweries, 2 distilleries, 1
iron foundry, 1 soap factory, 2 sash factories, 2 tanneries, 1
shipyard, 2 lumber yards, &c.
The number of arrivals at Victoria and out ports in 1872 was 292
(tons 131,696), and the clearances 285 (tons 129,864.) Total value
of imports $1,790,352; exports $1,915,107. Pop. 4,540.
Rates of wages current in Victoria May, 1872; Carpenters $3.50 to
$3.75 per diem; blacksmiths, bricklayers, plasterers, &c, $2 to $6
per diem; female servants — nursemaids $12 to $15; cooks, &c, $20 to
$25 per month. Menservants (Chinese) $20 to $25 per month. Laborers,
scarce at $30 to 35 per month, with board. Flour is sold at 7 to
$7.50 per brl. of 200 lbs.; beef, pork and mutton 12½c
to 18c. per lb.; butter 40c. to 60c.; sugar 12½c.;
an 1 clothing at a moderate advance on invoice.
VICTORIA, Bothwell co., Out. See Florence.
VICTORIA, Simcoe co., Out, See Innisfil.
VICTORIA BRIDGE, a settlement in Annapolis co., N. S , at the mouth
of bear river in Annapolis basin, 13½
miles from Annapolis. Pop. 50.
VICTORIA CORNERS, a post village in Ontario co., Ont., 6 miles from
Uxhridge. Pop. 80.
VICTORIA FARM, a telegraph office in Ottawa co., Que. See Wright.
VICTORIA HARBOR, a post office in Simcoe co., Out., on Matchedash
Bay, 28 miles from Orillia.
VICTORIA HARBOR, a post village in Kings co., N.S., on the Bay of
Fundy, 15 miles from Berwick Pop. 60.
VICTORIA LAND, an insular tract of the North West Territories, N. of
hit. 68° N. and extending from
about lon.103° to 110° W. It is
separated from the North American continent on the S by Dease
Strait, and from Boothia Felix on the E. by Victoria Strait. It was
discovered and named by Simpson; and explored by Dr. Rae in 1851.
VICTORIA MILLS, a settlement in Westmorland co., N.B., 7 miles from
Petitcodiac. Considerable lumber is manufactured here. Pop. 100.
VICTORIA MINES, a post village in Cape Breton co., N.S., on the S.
side of Sydney harbor, 9 miles from Sydney. Here are valuable coal
mines. Pop. 350.
VICTORIA ROAD, a post village in Victoria co.,Ont., on Grass river,
and on the T. & N. R., 79 miles N. of Toronto. It contains a
telegraph office, a Roman Catholic church, 3 stores, 2 hotels, 1 saw
mill, and a shingle factory. There are 6 saw mills in the vicinity,
manufacturing large quantities of lumber which is shipped from this
station. Pop. 100.
VICTORIA SQUARE, a post village in York co., Ont., 5 miles from
Richmond Hill. It contains 3 stores. Pop. 200.
VICTORIA VILLAGE, a fishing settlement on the N. side of Conception
Bay, Nfld., 6 miles from Carbonear. Poo. 200.
VICTORIAVILLE, Arthabaska co., Que. See Arthabaska Station.
VIENNA, an incorporated village in Elgin co., Ont., on Big Otter
Creek, 28 miles from Sr. Thomas. It contains churches of 4
denominations, a gram-mar school, a telegraph office, several holds
a number of stores, and manufactories of iron castings, wooden ware,
leather, sawn lumber, woolens, &c. Pop. 593.
VIENNA, Monck co., Ont. See Rosedene
VIGER or ST. EPIPIIAN1E, a post village in Temiscouata co., Que., 10
miles from Cacouna. Fop. 150.
VIGER MIXES, a post office in Arthabaska co., Que., 11 miles from
VIGO, a post village in Simcoe co., Ont., 11 miles from Stayner.
VILLAGE DES AULNAIES, a post village in L'Islet co., Que., Smiles
from St. Roch. Pop. 200.
VILLAGE RICHELIEU, or NOTRE DAME DE RICHELIEU, a post Tillage in
Rouville co., Que., on the River Richelieu, and on the Montreal,
Chambly and Sore! railway, 2 miles from Chambly Basin, 16 miles from
Montreal. It contains grist and carding mills, and 3 stores. Pop.
VILLA NOVA, a post village in Norfolk co., Ont., 5 miles from
Waterford. Pop. 100.
VTLLETTE, a post settlement in Compton co., Que., 9 miles from
Coaticook. It contains an Episcopal and a Roman Catholic church, 1
store, 1 hotel and a steam saw mill. Pop. 300.
VILLIERS, a post village in Peterborough co.. Ont., 15 miles from
Peterborough. Pop. 75.
VINCENNES, or ST. LUC, a post village in Champlain co., Que., 15
miles from Three Rivers. Pop. 100.
VINE, a post village in Simcoe co., Ont.. 7 miles from Barrie. Pop.
VINER, Lambton co., Ont. See Vyner.
VINOY, a post office in Ottawa co., Que., 23 miles from
VINTON, a, post office in Pontiac co., Que., 16 miles from Portage
VIOLET, a post village in Addington co., Out., on Big Creek, 17
miles from Kingston. Pop. 200.
VIRGIL, or CROSS ROADS, formerly LAWRENCEVILLE, a post village in
Lincoln co., Ont., 8 miles from St. Catharines. Pop. 100.
VIRGIN ARM, a fishing station in the district of Twillingate and
Fogo., Nfld., 5 miles from Twillingate. Pop. 10.
VITTORIA, a thriving post village in Norfolk co., Ont., on Young's
Creek, 7 miles from Simcoe. It contains 2 Episcopal, Presbyterian,
and Baptist churches, a telegraph office, a tannery, a planing mill,
a flouring mill, and several stores and hotels. Pop. 600.
VIVIAN, a post office in York co., Ont., 8 miles from Newmarket.
VOGLER'S COVE, a post settlement in Lunenburg co., N.S., on the
Atlantic coast, 7½ miles from
Mill Village. Pop. 250.
VROOMANTON, a post village in Ontario co., Out., 3 miles from
Sunderland. It contains a Roman Catholic church, a Wesleyan chapel,
an hotel. 3 stores and a saw and grist mill. Pop. 250.
VYNER, a post village in Lambton co., Out., 5 miles from Mandamin.
It has a store and a saw mill.
Lovell's Gazetteer of British North America,
Edited by P.A. Crossby, 1873
Lovell's Gazetteer of British North America