Ontario Cemetery Records
Ontario Census Records
Ontario Church Records
Ontario Court Records
Ontario Genealogy Societies
Ontario Immigration Records
Ontario Indian Tribes
Ontario Land and Maps
Ontario Mailing Lists
Ontario Military Records
Ontario Online Books
Ontario Vital Records
Free Genealogy Forms
Family Group Chart
New Genealogy Data
Family Tree Search
Genealogy Books For Sale
FREE Web Site Hosting at
County Rifle Association,
Victoria County, Ontario Canada
The Victoria County Rifle Association
The Saskatchewan outbreak aroused fresh interest in
rifle practice, and on May 29, 1885, the Victoria County Rifle
Association held its first match. J. A. Williamson, of Lindsay, made
the highest aggregate score and took first prize in the "all comers"
match. Robt. Sylvester, of Lindsay, carried off the county council
cup in the "association match."
The first range was in the 4th concession, on a farm owned by one
Twohey, west of the present House of Refuge. On May 24, 1892, a new
600-yard range was opened at the head of Lindsay street north, north
of the town limits. This was superseded in turn by a range on the
James Hopkins farm, northwest of the town. About a decade ago.
Dominion regulations were passed requiring a clear zone of 2500
yards (practically a mile and a half) behind the targets on every
rifle range. No such conditions could be secured in South Victoria,
and the Rifle Association collapsed.
During the history of this local rifle association one of its
members, Major J. A. Williamson, visited England twice, in 1892 and
in 1894, on the Canadian Bisley team. On his first trip he made over
$100 in prize money.