Ontario Cemetery Records
Ontario Census Records
Ontario Church Records
Ontario Court Records
Ontario Genealogy Societies
Ontario Immigration Records
Ontario Indian Tribes
Ontario Land and Maps
Ontario Mailing Lists
Ontario Military Records
Ontario Online Books
Ontario Vital Records
Free Genealogy Forms
Family Group Chart
New Genealogy Data
Family Tree Search
Genealogy Books For Sale
FREE Web Site Hosting at
Highways of Long Ago,
Victoria County, Ontario Canada
The early roads by which men came to Purdy's mill or
departed to north, south, east or west have almost vanished. The
present highways tend to follow the correct concession lines but the
first bush roads to be slashed through cut deliberately across
country towards their objective, though with many a bend and swerve
by which to keep on high, dry ground.
A traveler leaving Lindsay for the south would drive out Queen
Street, in the East Ward, as far as "Kerry's Corners," where J. R.
O'Neill's store now stands. Here he would turn south to Logie Street
There was also a by road, over "Bigelow's Hill," by which the river
could be reached without going as far as Kerry's. The modern Logie
Street .as far south as J. J. Ward's house is part of the old road.
It did not touch the concession line, however, until about Daniel
Murphy'sgate. It then swerved towards the east about half a lot in
order to cross Sucker Creek, returned to the line about Frank
Curtin's farm and after following the present road for half a mile,
struck off towards the river. Thereafter it skirted the Scugog very
closely, though keeping to high ground, as far south as Clabo,
whence it ran straight south to Janetville, Orono and Newcastle.
Should our traveler's destination have been Reaboro, Omemee or
Peterborough, he would have taken the same route as far as Kerry's
Corners. He would then push on straight east out Queen Street, but
on swerving southeast at the present town boundary, he would
continue in that direction as far as the line between the 7th and
8th concessions, cutting across the Logie and Ball farms. On one
pasture field here, the old road, closed some decades ago, is still
quite distinct. The route next ran down the concession line as far
as Lot 14, Concession VIII, now occupied by William Fox, and thence
diagonally across country through Reaboro and out into Emily at Lot
5, Concession XI. This last section of the old road is still open.
The first road to Fenelon Falls ran northwest from about the present
Presbyterian church, across Brewery Creek, a swampy stream now
masked by the Sussex Street Drain, and up over the Court House hill.
The section that lay across Brewery Creek was known as "The Long
Sault" because of its hazardous wetness. Leaving the town on the
same northwest run, it crossed the next creek on Lot 24, Concession
IV, west of the present Fenelon Road. This lot was occupied by Alex.
Logie, a son of Captain John Logie, who ran a sawmill on the creek.
The road then passed over the Murphy and James farms ultimately to
run north to the boundary on the line between the 2nd and 3rd
Concessions. Here, to the east of the road, on Robert Tompkin's
farm, about half a mile north of School Section Number 3, was long
the chief cemetery for South Fenelon and Northwest Ops. The grave
yard may still be seen, though fallen upon days of profound neglect.
The old Fenelon Road, after crossing the boundary, and slipping down
the great limestone escarpment (here very much diminished), struck
northeast over the Widow Tompkins' farm, crossed McLaren's Creek by
a stone bridge which still remains, midway between the two
concession lines, and then ran slantwise towards Cameron. Many
decades passed before anyone undertook to chisel a road down the
cliff on the line where the main road now descends to McLaren's
The earliest road to Oakwood went straight west from Lindsay,
crossing over a swamp on the 3rd and 4th concessions by means of
Still another pioneer road ran southwest from the head of Kent
Street West across country to Port Perry. Fifty years ago its course
was still very evident, although it was then fenced in. Even at that
time pedestrians made use of it for convenience sake.
The municipal history of Ops has followed a course
similar to that in the other townships. In 1842, Francis Kelly
represented Ops on the first District Council held in Peterborough.
The first Township Council comprised the
Reeve, William McDonnell
Councillors, John Gibb, Patrick McHugh, Thomas Rea, and Thomas
Clerk, Dr. William Bird.
Patrick McHugh was the first reeve of Ops after the separation and
incorporation of Lindsay in 1857. In more recent times, John Kennedy
and his son Peter have served successively as Township Treasurer for
over fifty years.
The chief municipal undertakings in Ops have been the draining.. of
the "Long Swamp," west of Lindsay, in 1880, and of the Stoney Creek
area in 1908. The latter scheme ran two trunk drains north eastward
from about Lot 6, Con. VI, one past Reaboro and on into Emily and
the other via Cunningham's Corners to Salem school. Thorough
drainage was supplied for 1246 acres and an outlet for 3809 acres.
A large township hall of brick was built in 1861 at what is now the
entrance to the Riverside Cemetery. When the old building was
crowded with a nomination meeting on December 31, 1906, the rotted
floor gave way with a crash and jagged rents appeared in the walls.
The crowd knocked all the windows from their frames in the mad rush
outwards that followed. No one was hurt.
The racial and religious elements are manifested by the decennial
census returns of 1911. The races represented are:
The church adherences are:
Roman Catholics, 834
The population of Ops in 1886 was 3101. In 1920, thirty-four years
later, it had dropped to 1981. The township assessment had increased
during that same period, from $1,529,729 to $2,726,766, valuation
greater than that of any other township except Mariposa. A just
reservation must always be made for the enhancement of land values
by proximity to Lindsay, but urban conditions are not found any
distance beyond the town limits, and the most conscientious
allowance will still leave Ops a very rich municipality.