Canadian Genealogy |Ontario Genealogy | Victoria County | Town of Lindsay

Ontario Counties
Victoria County
Lambton County
Middlesex County

Genealogy Records
Ontario Archives
Ontario Biographies
Ontario Cemetery Records
Ontario Census Records
Ontario Church Records
Ontario Court Records
Ontario Directories
Ontario Genealogy Societies
Ontario Immigration Records
Ontario Indian Tribes
Ontario Land and Maps
Ontario Mailing Lists
Ontario Military Records
Ontario Newspapers
Ontario Obituaries
Ontario Online Books
Ontario Vital Records

Free Genealogy Forms
Family Tree Chart
Research Calendar
Research Extract
Free Census Forms
Correspondence Record
Family Group Chart
Source Summary

New Genealogy Data
Family Tree Search
Biographies

Genealogy Books For Sale

Genealogy Library

Indian Mythology

US Genealogy

 

Other Websites

Garden Herbs

Lavish Treats

Calorie Counter


FREE Web Site Hosting at
Canadian Genealogy

 

 

Commercial Victoria County, Ontario Canada

The number and character of the stores of Lindsay have changed little during the past forty or fifty years. Their trade is largely limited to the extent of the population of the surrounding country, and while the advent of the automobile has tended to widen the area directly served, a decrease of several thousands in the population of the county and the wholesale piracy of urban mail order houses have both done much to neutralize this expansion.

The actual proprietors of the local stores, however, have changed incessantly and it would be no small task to list all the generations of merchants who have taken part in local trade since incorporation. I shall content myself with the following schedule of older businesses which, after many years, remain with the families which founded them:

1837, Jeremiah Britton (now S. Britton, jewelry)
1857, E. Gregory, drugs; 1858, John Anderson, furniture
1860, W. A. Goodwin, wall paper, etc.
1861, R. S. Porter, books and stationery
1861, Dundas & Flavelles, dry goods
1862, M. O'Halloran, meats
1862, McLennan & Co., hardware
1863, Thomas Beall, jewelry
1867, J. M. Neelands, dentistry
1868, S. Corneil, insurance
1874, R. P. Spratt and J. Killen, groceries
1878, A. Higinbotham, drugs
1878, J. A. Williamson, harness
1881, J. G. Edwards, hardware
1884, G. A. Milne, tailoring
1887, Alex. Fisher, groceries
1888, M. J. Carter, clothing
1890, M. E. Tangney, furniture;
1890, Wm. McWatters, confectionery
1890, Philip Morgan, drugs
1892, R. Johnston and M. H. Sisson, boots
1893, G. A. Little, and stationery
1897, F. W. Sutcliffe, dry goods, books

At the present time, Lindsay has 27 grocers, 8 clothiers and drapers, 6 druggists, 6 butchers, 6 hardware merchants, 5 confectioners, 4 shoe dealers, 4 coal dealers, 3 jewelers, 3 furniture dealers, 2 stationers, 2 fruiterers, 2 opticians, 2 tailors, 2 music stores, and 1 harness dealer.

The Banks of Lindsay

The Bank of Upper Canada opened a branch in Lindsay in 1853 and conducted business until the failure of 1863. The Bank of Montreal had a local agency in 1858, but for nearly twenty years it did nothing beyond accepting deposits for the government. The Ontario Bank came in in 1864 and the Merchants' Bank in 1870. The Bank of Montreal absorbed the latter in 1877 and the former in 1906. The Dominion Bank began business Lindsay in 1881, the Standard Bank and the Bank of Commerce in 1906, and the Home Bank in 1910. The Victoria Loan and Savings Co. was founded in Lindsay in 1895, under local management and largely financed by local capital.

Town of Lindsay

Victoria County


Add/Correct a Link

Comments/Submit Data


Copyright 2002-2017 by Canadian Genealogy
The WebPages may be linked to but shall not be reproduced on another site without written permission.