Canadian Genealogy |Ontario Genealogy | Victoria County

Ontario Counties
Victoria County
Lambton County
Middlesex County

Genealogy Records
Ontario Archives
Ontario Biographies
Ontario Cemetery Records
Ontario Census Records
Ontario Church Records
Ontario Court Records
Ontario Directories
Ontario Genealogy Societies
Ontario Immigration Records
Ontario Indian Tribes
Ontario Land and Maps
Ontario Mailing Lists
Ontario Military Records
Ontario Newspapers
Ontario Obituaries
Ontario Online Books
Ontario Vital Records

Free Genealogy Forms
Family Tree Chart
Research Calendar
Research Extract
Free Census Forms
Correspondence Record
Family Group Chart
Source Summary

New Genealogy Data
Family Tree Search
Biographies

Genealogy Books For Sale

Genealogy Library

Indian Mythology

US Genealogy

 

Other Websites

Garden Herbs

Lavish Treats

Calorie Counter


FREE Web Site Hosting at
Canadian Genealogy

 

 

Cemeteries of Lindsay, Victoria County, Ontario Canada

The tribes of Northern Europe, from which we have sprung disposed of their dead by burial in the earth, with various religious rites. This ancestral form of burial is still universally followed in Victoria County.

The first Protestant cemetery in Lindsay was on the block bounded by Francis, Sussex, Colborne, and Albert streets, where the Alexandria school now stands. About 1860 a new plot was purchased on the hill slope in the East Ward at the southwest corner of Durham Street East and the town boundary. This cemetery was ready for interments on October 16, 1862. The grounds were unfortunately inadequate, and on August 24, 1870, the Riverside Cemetery Company was incorporated, and threw open a necropolis of thirteen acres on the east part of the south half of lot 17 in the fifth concession of Ops, about a mile south of the town. The first board of directors comprised the following: President, S. S. McLennan; Secretary-Treasurer, Adam Hudspeth; Directors, D. Brown, E. Gregory, Joseph Watson, S. C. Wood, S. Bigelow, and J. Hamilton. Bodies were transferred from the older cemeteries to this new field on the bank of the Scugog. Newspaper files record that on May 22, 1876, a wagon, loaded with rotten coffins, three tiers high, and surmounted by a nonchalant, tobacco smoking driver, passed down Kent Street on its way to the new place of burial. This cemetery is still in use.

The early Roman Catholic cemeteries were two in number: one, where most of the villagers were buried, on Patrick Murphy's farm near the Murphy school house (school section No. 1) four miles south of Lindsay, and the other on King Connell's Point. In 1860 Father Farrelly blessed a new cemetery on the western boundary of the town, opposite the end of Mary Street. This burial ground was abandoned in 1897, during Mgr. Laurent's incumbency, when a plot of 23 acres on the west bank of the river, south of the town, was purchased for $2300 and greatly embellished.

Victoria County, Ontario Canada Centennial History, Watson Kirkconnell M.A., 1921

Victoria County


Add/Correct a Link

Comments/Submit Data


Copyright 2002-2017 by Canadian Genealogy
The WebPages may be linked to but shall not be reproduced on another site without written permission.