Ontario Cemetery Records
Ontario Census Records
Ontario Church Records
Ontario Court Records
Ontario Genealogy Societies
Ontario Immigration Records
Ontario Indian Tribes
Ontario Land and Maps
Ontario Mailing Lists
Ontario Military Records
Ontario Online Books
Ontario Vital Records
Free Genealogy Forms
Family Group Chart
New Genealogy Data
Family Tree Search
Genealogy Books For Sale
FREE Web Site Hosting at
Lindsay Baptist Church,
Victoria County, Ontario Canada
The first local Baptist church was organized on
Saturday, February 28th, 1863, when thirteen Baptists, resident both
in Lindsay and in Ops, gathered in a private home for church
fellowship. These original members were Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Thornhill,
Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Richardson, Mr. and Mrs. David McGahey, Mr. and
Mrs. George Calvert, John Calvert, Mr. and Mrs. William Garnett,
Mrs. Duncan Fisher, and Peter Fisher. The meeting was presided over
by "Elder" Alexander McIntyre, of Fenelon Falls. William Thornhill
and Peter Fisher were elected deacons at this time and John Calvert
was given like office in the following year.
Application for a building site was made to the government and two
lots were secured, one at Hill Head, near Reaboro, in Ops, and the
other on the northwest corner of Wellington and Sussex streets,
Lindsay. The original Board of Trustees, constituted in July 1865,
were William Thornhill, Joseph Wilkinson, Peter Fisher, James Weir,
and George Calvert.
In 1865 the first minister, the Rev. A. A. Cameron, was called. He
was succeeded in 1866 by the Rev. Matthew Gold, who left in 1870.
The church records for these early years are still sumptuous with
the discipline meted out to fractious sheep of the flock.
The congregation met for a time in a frame building on Cambridge
Street South on the side of Dennis's brick livery barn. Meetings
were also held in the town hall. About 1866 a chapel was built on
the Hill Head lot and in October 1867 a frame church, 50 feet long
by 30 feet wide, was put up on the Wellington Street lot and painted
by a bee under the direction of Daniel Silver. This church was
formally opened with a tea meeting on January 13, 1868; During the
sixties great financial assistance was gratuitously given to the
church by Mr. William Craig, of Port Hope. Generous and unfailing
support was also given, and for nearly half a century, by Mr. George
Matthews, a native of Birmingham, who joined the church in June 1867
and was a deacon from May 18 72 until his death in 1914.
In 1871 the Rev. John Cameron, of Claremont, became pastor. He was
followed two years later by an Englishman, the Rev. Mr. Prosser. In
January 1873 the Ops church members separated for business and the
observance of ordinances and on August 23, 1873, twenty-one members
were given letters of demission and formed themselves into an Ops
church. Various mutual arrangements have been made since that time
with regard to pulpit supplies but the exchequers and communion
rolls have remained separate and distinct.
Baptisms at this time were performed in the Scugog River, just above
the Riverside Cemetery.
On March 3, 1878, the Rev. W. K. Anderson, who followed Mr. Prosser,
preached his first sermon in Lindsay. The Rev. Mr. Anderson
continued in this pastorate for nearly fifteen years, and was
greatly loved by his people.
In 1885 negotiations were made for the purchase of the brick church
and Sunday School on Cambridge Street vacated by the Bible
Christians two years before, on their amalgamation with the
Methodists. Temporary occupation had already been conceded to the
Saved Army, under Captain Munt, but the zeal of that brief movement
was fast evaporating. A bargain was finally struck between the
Baptists and Methodists for a purchase price of $5374. Alterations
were made. A new Gothic arch was cut through the wall in rear of the
pulpit and an alcove, in which a baptistery was inserted, built in
rear. Gas was also introduced to replace the oil lamps formerly
used. The old church was sold for $2100, and converted into a
dwelling house. By October 1886 only $836 was still outstanding on
the new church and George Matthews, then church clerk, promised to
subscribe one-half of this amount if the church would raise the
other half. The response was immediate and on November 10, 1886, a
clear deed to the property was secured. A meeting for thanksgiving
was held that same evening. The deacons at this time were Messrs.
Matthews, Richardson, Silver, Mitchell, and Harding.
The Rev. Mr. Anderson was succeeded in 1892
by the Rev. H. Ware, of Chatham. The latter was found dead in
shallow water at Sturgeon Point on May 18, 1893. Subsequent pastors
Rev. Ralph Trotter, 1893-4
Rev. L. S. Hughson, 1895-1903
Rev. G. R. Welch, 1903-1911
Rev. H. Bryant, 1911-1920
Rev. P. B. Loney, called in 1920.
The last census recorded 352 Baptists in the town.