Ontario Cemetery Records
Ontario Census Records
Ontario Church Records
Ontario Court Records
Ontario Genealogy Societies
Ontario Immigration Records
Ontario Indian Tribes
Ontario Land and Maps
Ontario Mailing Lists
Ontario Military Records
Ontario Online Books
Ontario Vital Records
Free Genealogy Forms
Family Group Chart
New Genealogy Data
Family Tree Search
Genealogy Books For Sale
FREE Web Site Hosting at
History of the 45th Regiment,
Victoria County, Ontario Canada
On November 16, 1866, the 45th "West Durham"
Battalion of infantry was organized with headquarters at Bowmanville
and four companies in Bowmanville, Orono, Cartwright and Newcastle
respectively. Its Commanding Officer was Lt. Col. Frederic Cubitt.
The three independent companies in Lindsay, Omemee and Bobcaygeon
died a natural death. Two new companies of the 45th Regiment were
then organized, No. 5 in Omemee and No. 6 in Lindsay. The officers
of the former company were Capt. Wm. Cottingham, Lieut. Jas.
English, and Ensign Wm. Bell, and of the latter company Capt. John
Thirkell and Lieut. Ben Ross.
The succeeding years were to witness the gradual shifting north ward
of the 45th Regiment. In 1875 No. 2 Company was established at
Fenelon Falls instead of at Orono. In 1894 Lt. Col Cubitt was
succeeded in the command by Lt. Col. John Hughes and he in turn, on
June 9, 1897, by Lt. Col. Sam Hughes, M. P.
Under this new commander the headquarters of the
unit were transferred from Bowmanville to Lindsay, and its title
altered to "The 45th Victoria Battalion of Infantry." By this
reorganization, No. 1 company was at Cameron, Nos. 2 and. 3 at
Lindsay, No. 4 at Omemee, No. 5 at Janetville, and No. 6 at
Woodville. In 1905 No. 5 Company was shifted from Janetville to
Fenelon Falls and the transformation from a Durham county unit to a
Victoria county unit was complete. Since that time the location of
the companies has varied, but has always remained within the limits
of Victoria county and the subsidiary county of Haliburton on the
north. In addition to the stations enumerated above, Bobcaygeon,
Little Britain, Oakwood, Norland, Tory Hill, and Haliburton have
also been company hearquarters at one time or another. In 1920 the
unit was reorganized as the "45th Victoria and Haliburton Regiment."
Lt: Col. Sam Hughes was succeeded on Jan. 21, 1903, by Lt: Col.
Robert Sylvester. Subsequent commanding officers have been Lt. Col.
Fred Holmes Hopkins, appointed Sept. 6, 1912, Lt. Col. J. J. H. Fee,
appointed October 14, 1914, and Lt: Col. R. H. Anderson, appointed
October 12, 1915.