Canadian Genealogy |Ontario Genealogy | Lambton County

Genealogy Records
Ontario Archives
Ontario Biographies
Ontario Cemetery Records
Ontario Census Records
Ontario Church Records
Ontario Court Records
Ontario Directories
Ontario Genealogy Societies
Ontario Immigration Records
Ontario Indian Tribes
Ontario Land and Maps
Ontario Mailing Lists
Ontario Military Records
Ontario Newspapers
Ontario Obituaries
Ontario Online Books
Ontario Vital Records

Ontario Counties
Victoria County
Lambton County
Middlesex County

Free Genealogy Forms
Family Tree Chart
Research Calendar
Research Extract
Free Census Forms
Correspondence Record
Family Group Chart
Source Summary


FREE Web Site Hosting at
Canadian Genealogy

Ontario Counties
Victoria County
Lambton County
Middlesex County

Genealogy Records
Ontario Archives
Ontario Biographies
Ontario Cemetery Records
Ontario Census Records
Ontario Church Records
Ontario Court Records
Ontario Directories
Ontario Genealogy Societies
Ontario Immigration Records
Ontario Indian Tribes
Ontario Land and Maps
Ontario Mailing Lists
Ontario Military Records
Ontario Newspapers
Ontario Obituaries
Ontario Online Books
Ontario Vital Records

Free Genealogy Forms
Family Tree Chart
Research Calendar
Research Extract
Free Census Forms
Correspondence Record
Family Group Chart
Source Summary

New Genealogy Data
Family Tree Search
Biographies

Genealogy Books For Sale

Genealogy Library

Indian Mythology

US Genealogy

 

Other Websites

Garden Herbs

Lavish Treats

Calorie Counter


FREE Web Site Hosting at
Canadian Genealogy

 

 

Lambton County, Ontario Canada Names and Places -N-O-

Nauvoo
The main road from Alvinston to Watford. So named after Nauvoo in the state of Illinois. About 1840 a Mormon preacher named John Borrowman, came from the East. In and around Gardiner's Mills, now Alvinston, he secured several converts to that faith; whether from objection taken to this faith or for some other reasons, these Mormon converts decided to go to Nauvoo, Ill., and the line of their "trek" to the London Road was the road above mentioned and it has borne the name "Nauvoo" ever since. It is one of the pleasant driveways of Lambton County.

Oakdale
A post office located on lot 25, Con. 13, Dawn Township, opened in 1890. The first postmaster was Alex. McDougall. Named after the growth of oak in this district. The post office is gone but a store remains to claim the name.

Oban
A post office opened on Lot 3, Con. 5, Plympton. The first postmaster was a Mr. Brown. Named after a place. in Scotland.

Ogemah
An Indian word meaning "Chief' and the name borne by a post office opened in 1877, about three miles further north than Errol on the lake shore road, with T. R. K. Scott, one of the pioneer settlers, as postmaster. Mr. Scott was succeeded in 1882 by George Symington, as postmaster.

An interesting feature in connection with all these lake shore post offices in these early days was, their mail service was given by two men named Church and Haskell, who traveled on horseback from Sarnia to Bayfield, leaving and collecting the mail as they came and went.

Oil City
A station on the Canada Southern or M. C. R., two miles north of Oil Springs. It obtained its name from the oil boom and the quantity of oil found there. At that time it was a busy village, but has now but two stores, a post office and a few residences.

Oil Springs
Probably incorporated as a village in 1865, prior to that it was known as Black Creek, owing to the black oil (petroleum) that seeped from the soil and found its way to this creek. Wm. Harrison, J. P., was the first postmaster. It is today the center of a good community of farmers, and a thrifty village.
Its population in 1921 is given as 490. In 1866, at the height of its oil boom, it had a population of over 3000. At this time it had twelve large general stores, 9 hotels and every other equipment usually found in a town where fortunes were made and lost in a day. There are still many oil wells operated here and considerable oil obtained.

Osborne
A post office opened about 1875, at the corner of lot seven, concession twelve, Moore Township, with Alex. Lamont as post master, and later, on Mr. Lamont's removal, Wm. L. Gardiner became postmaster. In all probability it was named after the favorite castle of the late Queen Victoria, "Osborne Castle" on the Isle of Wight. A church and school house still remain in the Osborne district. The post office no longer operates.

Ossian
A post office opened on Lot 1, Con. 8, Moore Township. George McPherson, a warden at one time of Lambton County, was first postmaster and gave it the name Ossian taken from the Scotch poet, McPherson's Poems.

Lambton County


Add/Correct a Link

Comments/Submit Data


Copyright 2002-2017 by Canadian Genealogy
The WebPages may be linked to but shall not be reproduced on another site without written permission.