Canadian Genealogy |Ontario Genealogy | Lambton County

Genealogy Records
Ontario Archives
Ontario Biographies
Ontario Cemetery Records
Ontario Census Records
Ontario Church Records
Ontario Court Records
Ontario Directories
Ontario Genealogy Societies
Ontario Immigration Records
Ontario Indian Tribes
Ontario Land and Maps
Ontario Mailing Lists
Ontario Military Records
Ontario Newspapers
Ontario Obituaries
Ontario Online Books
Ontario Vital Records

Ontario Counties
Victoria County
Lambton County
Middlesex County

Free Genealogy Forms
Family Tree Chart
Research Calendar
Research Extract
Free Census Forms
Correspondence Record
Family Group Chart
Source Summary


FREE Web Site Hosting at
Canadian Genealogy

Ontario Counties
Victoria County
Lambton County
Middlesex County

Genealogy Records
Ontario Archives
Ontario Biographies
Ontario Cemetery Records
Ontario Census Records
Ontario Church Records
Ontario Court Records
Ontario Directories
Ontario Genealogy Societies
Ontario Immigration Records
Ontario Indian Tribes
Ontario Land and Maps
Ontario Mailing Lists
Ontario Military Records
Ontario Newspapers
Ontario Obituaries
Ontario Online Books
Ontario Vital Records

Free Genealogy Forms
Family Tree Chart
Research Calendar
Research Extract
Free Census Forms
Correspondence Record
Family Group Chart
Source Summary

New Genealogy Data
Family Tree Search
Biographies

Genealogy Books For Sale

Genealogy Library

Indian Mythology

US Genealogy

 

Other Websites

Garden Herbs

Lavish Treats

Calorie Counter


FREE Web Site Hosting at
Canadian Genealogy

 

 

Lambton County, Ontario Canada Names and Places -M-

Mandaumin
A station and post office on the C. N. R., 7 miles from Sarnia, opened at the time of the building of the above named road.

The story of the naming of this place is interesting. The Government requested Malcolm Cameron, then Representative of this district, to name the post office. He gave it the name of Radcliffe, probably after an Anglican missionary laboring in this section. This locality was, even in those days, fairly settled, and the settlement objected to the name as given, calling a meeting at which Mr. Cameron was present. Some re-arrangement of political lines was in progress at headquarters. Mr. Cameron had been cartooned as a "coon" up a tree looking which side to come down. The name "stuck" and he was referred to as "Coon Cameron" for years. He took the nickname jocularly and at this meeting agreed to change the name, saying, "we will give the coon something to eat, we will give the name Mandaumin," which is the Indian for corn or maize. The name was adopted.

Marthaville
A village in Enniskillen Township on the Twelfth Concession, in the heart of the oil district. Our information is that one of the early operators, Thomas by name, a mill man, named it after his wife, whose name was Martha. Its close proximity to Petrolia, (some three miles) has prevented its growing beyond the hamlet stage. The post office at this point is Copleston.

Mccready
A post office opened on Lot 30, Con. 9, Euphemia, in 1880. So called after James McCready, for many years Reeve of the Township. Duncan Ross was later postmaster for some eighteen years.

Moore
The central of the western or St. Clair range of townships. The north branch of the Sydenham pursues its crooked way across its south east corner, but besides this there are no streams other than dry creeks which run very short distances inland at right angles to the St. Clair, into which they flow.
The earliest settlement of the county was along the St. Clair front and the present name of the township was given in honor of the celebrated British General, Sir John Moore, who fell on the bloody field of Corunna, just prior to the surveying of this township.

"No useless coffin enclosed his breast, Nor in sheet, nor in shroud we wound him, But he lay like a warrior taking his rest, With his martial cloak around him."

It is a well improved area with practically no waste land; has good roads and fine homes.

It is populated by thrifty contented people, mostly engaged in practical farming. Its population in 1921 was three thousand, six hundred and eleven, and covers an area comprising seventy-two thousand, two hundred and fifty-seven acres.

Mooretown
A village of Moore Township, deriving its name from the same source as the township. It is seven miles from Sarnia and two miles from Courtright, on the St. Clair River. It overlooks the River St. Clair, has the usual places of business, churches and schools found in a small village, and a population of about one hundred.

Mosside
A post office in Euphemia Township, opened about 1885, with James McCabe as postmaster. So called after Mosley, a place near Sligo, Ireland.

Lambton County


Add/Correct a Link

Comments/Submit Data


Copyright 2002-2017 by Canadian Genealogy
The WebPages may be linked to but shall not be reproduced on another site without written permission.