Canadian Genealogy |Ontario Genealogy | Lambton County

Genealogy Records
Ontario Archives
Ontario Biographies
Ontario Cemetery Records
Ontario Census Records
Ontario Church Records
Ontario Court Records
Ontario Directories
Ontario Genealogy Societies
Ontario Immigration Records
Ontario Indian Tribes
Ontario Land and Maps
Ontario Mailing Lists
Ontario Military Records
Ontario Newspapers
Ontario Obituaries
Ontario Online Books
Ontario Vital Records

Ontario Counties
Victoria County
Lambton County
Middlesex County

Free Genealogy Forms
Family Tree Chart
Research Calendar
Research Extract
Free Census Forms
Correspondence Record
Family Group Chart
Source Summary


FREE Web Site Hosting at
Canadian Genealogy

Ontario Counties
Victoria County
Lambton County
Middlesex County

Genealogy Records
Ontario Archives
Ontario Biographies
Ontario Cemetery Records
Ontario Census Records
Ontario Church Records
Ontario Court Records
Ontario Directories
Ontario Genealogy Societies
Ontario Immigration Records
Ontario Indian Tribes
Ontario Land and Maps
Ontario Mailing Lists
Ontario Military Records
Ontario Newspapers
Ontario Obituaries
Ontario Online Books
Ontario Vital Records

Free Genealogy Forms
Family Tree Chart
Research Calendar
Research Extract
Free Census Forms
Correspondence Record
Family Group Chart
Source Summary

New Genealogy Data
Family Tree Search
Biographies

Genealogy Books For Sale

Genealogy Library

Indian Mythology

US Genealogy

 

Other Websites

Garden Herbs

Lavish Treats

Calorie Counter


FREE Web Site Hosting at
Canadian Genealogy

 

 

Lambton County, Ontario Canada Names and Places -G-H-

Garville
A post office opened at Lot 19, Con. 5, Township of Dawn, with George Boyle as postmaster. Named after a post office in Scotland called "Gary." It operated until rural mail service was established.

Glen Rae
So called after one John Rae, who built and operated a stave mill at this point, situated on the M. C. R. 4 miles east of Oil City. A store and post office remain to mark the spot. Opened about 1888 with L. A. Riley as first postmaster.

Grand Bend
At this point the Aux Sable enters Lake Huron, after a bend of great length and from this the name was given the settlement. Today, particularly in the summer months, it is a busy place, being a summering spot of no mean pretensions, many cottages, dance halls and three hotels indicate its popularity. It lies partly in the County of Lambton and partly in Huron County. The Lambton side of this village was formerly called Brewster.

Grand Bend might well be called the watering place of all that interior portion of Western Ontario within a radius reachable by auto.

Hale
A post office opened at Lot 30, Con. 12, Dawn Township, in 1890. First postmaster, John Hale, from whom it bore its name.

Heather
A post office on the 7th Con. Brooke, near east boundary, opened in 1889 with Donald McIntyre as first postmaster, so named from the heather plant so dear to every Scotchman, and this was distinctly a Scotch settlement.

Henry's Corner
Post Office in Sombra, so named after Warren T. Henry and Nathaniel Henry who came here from about Kingston. Mr. Henry was first postmaster.

Hillsborough
The name borne today by that hilly part of the shore of Lake Huron, lying just at the north west corner of Plympton township. It is more or less of a summer resort, and in common with many other points of this shore line is very pleasing to the eye. At one time a post office was opened here, probably about 1865, with Thomas Hill as first postmaster, from whom it bears its name.

Holmesdale
At one time a stave mill village on the M. C. R., three miles east of Oil City, called after Mr. Holmes of the firm of Holmes, Moore and Courtright.

Lambton County


Add/Correct a Link

Comments/Submit Data


Copyright 2002-2017 by Canadian Genealogy
The WebPages may be linked to but shall not be reproduced on another site without written permission.