Canadian Genealogy |Ontario Genealogy | Lambton County

Genealogy Records
Ontario Archives
Ontario Biographies
Ontario Cemetery Records
Ontario Census Records
Ontario Church Records
Ontario Court Records
Ontario Directories
Ontario Genealogy Societies
Ontario Immigration Records
Ontario Indian Tribes
Ontario Land and Maps
Ontario Mailing Lists
Ontario Military Records
Ontario Newspapers
Ontario Obituaries
Ontario Online Books
Ontario Vital Records

Ontario Counties
Victoria County
Lambton County
Middlesex County

Free Genealogy Forms
Family Tree Chart
Research Calendar
Research Extract
Free Census Forms
Correspondence Record
Family Group Chart
Source Summary


FREE Web Site Hosting at
Canadian Genealogy

Ontario Counties
Victoria County
Lambton County
Middlesex County

Genealogy Records
Ontario Archives
Ontario Biographies
Ontario Cemetery Records
Ontario Census Records
Ontario Church Records
Ontario Court Records
Ontario Directories
Ontario Genealogy Societies
Ontario Immigration Records
Ontario Indian Tribes
Ontario Land and Maps
Ontario Mailing Lists
Ontario Military Records
Ontario Newspapers
Ontario Obituaries
Ontario Online Books
Ontario Vital Records

Free Genealogy Forms
Family Tree Chart
Research Calendar
Research Extract
Free Census Forms
Correspondence Record
Family Group Chart
Source Summary

New Genealogy Data
Family Tree Search
Biographies

Genealogy Books For Sale

Genealogy Library

Indian Mythology

US Genealogy

 

Other Websites

Garden Herbs

Lavish Treats

Calorie Counter


FREE Web Site Hosting at
Canadian Genealogy

 

 

Lambton County, Ontario Canada Names and Places -F-

Fancher
The name given to an old road cut out from Newbury to Florence, winding its way across the entire Township of Euphemia and for a goodly portion of that way following or being adjacent to a creek bearing the same name.

The road and creek bear their name from an early settler, one David Fancher, who settled there in 1822 and he was largely responsible for the building of the road.

The descendants of David Fancher still reside in Euphemia, a great grandson, B. W. Fancher being the member of Parliament for East Lambton at the present time.

The word Fancher is of French origin.

Fawn Island
A small Canadian Island lying just below Sombra village, in the St. Clair River. It is about one-half the area of Stag Island, is more or less wooded, but has never been developed as a summering place, for which purpose both its situation and beauty would well lend itself. This island was also a deer resort, and gets it name from fawn, or young deer. It was for years known as Woodtick Island.

Florence
A pleasant little village on the Sydenham River in the Township of Euphemia, some 8 miles from Bothwell on the C. N. R., from which point it receives its mail.

Colonel George R. Kirby was the first postmaster of this center, then known as Zone Mills, appointed January 6th, 1840, but with the formation of Lambton County and the setting apart of Euphemia as a township, the name Zone Mills was changed to Victoria, after the late Queen, but continual confusion in mail of Victoria and Vittoria, a village in Norfolk County, the name was again changed to Florence, after a place of the same name in Italy.

Forest
A town on the Canadian National Railway some 26 miles from Sarnia and about 5 miles from Lake Huron, incorporated as a town in 1888. It is surrounded by a rich farming district and is a thriving center, with well ordered stores, fine homes, well appointed public buildings, schools and churches.
The name Forest was conferred on a station here by the Railway authorities from the fact of its having been located in a dense bush, and the people were so well pleased with the name that in response to their petition it was conferred upon the Post Office which was opened the same year, 1859, with Robert Dyer as postmaster. It was incorporated as a town in 1888.

It has the advantages of being close to Kettle Point and other summering points on Lake Huron. The census of 1921 gives its population as 1422.

Froomfield
A pretty little summer resort 5 miles south of Sarnia on the St. Clair River. It was first settled by the building of a mill on the little creek emptying into the river at this point, by two brothers named Talfourd. The Christian names of these two brothers were Froom and Field and the combined names give the village its name. The name Talfourd was given to the Creek flowing into the St. Clair at this point.

Lambton County


Add/Correct a Link

Comments/Submit Data


Copyright 2002-2017 by Canadian Genealogy
The WebPages may be linked to but shall not be reproduced on another site without written permission.