Canadian Genealogy |Ontario Genealogy | Lambton County

Genealogy Records
Ontario Archives
Ontario Biographies
Ontario Cemetery Records
Ontario Census Records
Ontario Church Records
Ontario Court Records
Ontario Directories
Ontario Genealogy Societies
Ontario Immigration Records
Ontario Indian Tribes
Ontario Land and Maps
Ontario Mailing Lists
Ontario Military Records
Ontario Newspapers
Ontario Obituaries
Ontario Online Books
Ontario Vital Records

Ontario Counties
Victoria County
Lambton County
Middlesex County

Free Genealogy Forms
Family Tree Chart
Research Calendar
Research Extract
Free Census Forms
Correspondence Record
Family Group Chart
Source Summary


FREE Web Site Hosting at
Canadian Genealogy

Ontario Counties
Victoria County
Lambton County
Middlesex County

Genealogy Records
Ontario Archives
Ontario Biographies
Ontario Cemetery Records
Ontario Census Records
Ontario Church Records
Ontario Court Records
Ontario Directories
Ontario Genealogy Societies
Ontario Immigration Records
Ontario Indian Tribes
Ontario Land and Maps
Ontario Mailing Lists
Ontario Military Records
Ontario Newspapers
Ontario Obituaries
Ontario Online Books
Ontario Vital Records

Free Genealogy Forms
Family Tree Chart
Research Calendar
Research Extract
Free Census Forms
Correspondence Record
Family Group Chart
Source Summary

New Genealogy Data
Family Tree Search
Biographies

Genealogy Books For Sale

Genealogy Library

Indian Mythology

US Genealogy

 

Other Websites

Garden Herbs

Lavish Treats

Calorie Counter


FREE Web Site Hosting at
Canadian Genealogy

 

 

Lambton County, Ontario Canada Names and Places -E-

Edys Mills
A village in Dawn Township. About 1887 one Melvin Lotteridge built a customs saw mill at this point. It was financed by two brothers named Edy of London. The enterprise not proving successful, it passed into the hands of the Edy Brothers, who enlarged the mill, it finally passing to the stave firm of Sutherland & Innis, of Chatham, who operated it as long as the timber lasted. At one time it had about 200 residents, today a store, school, church and two or three houses comprise the village.

A spur line of the M. C. R. extends from Oil Springs to Edys. It was named after the Edy Brothers.

Enniskillen
The central township of the County of Lambton, named after a town in Ireland, but to the Canadians the name is more familiar from the memory of the famous charge of the Enniskillen Guards and the Scotch Greys at the Battle of Balaclava.

In point of area it is one of the largest townships in the County. For years it was the center of the oil producing territory and agriculture was only a secondary pursuit. It was in this township that rock oil was first discovered in Canada, but in recent years it has made rapid strides in agriculture and is given over now almost entirely to grain-raising and grazing. It's population in 1921 was three thousand and sixty-three, and an acreage of about eighty-two thousand acres.

Egremont
The name borne by a road running from a point a few miles west of Camlachie to London.
When Lord Egremont, an Englishman, brought to this country a colony of settlers, arriving at London, Ontario, from that point west to Lake Huron he found no road save only an Indian trail. This trail was followed, chopping it out and building a passable road as they moved along. This road, from Warwick east to London, is now the main highway over which thousands of tourists pass annually. It has from the date of the above settlement until the present, retained its original name, Egremont.

Errol
With the coming of the above settlers, a town site was laid out on the shores of Lake Huron, of no mean pretensions. The plans filed in the County Registry Office show streets and avenues covering many acres, but the dreams of these early pioneers failed to be realized as it never attained much size. It was, however, for years a post office, serving the people as far north as Kettle Point. The first post office was opened in 1840, a Mr. Toulman being the first postmaster. He was followed by Thos. Laing, who. in turn was succeeded by George Whiting. A graveyard today is practically the only remaining reminder of this dream city.

It is interesting to note that the first newspaper published in this county was printed in this village. It was called "The Saminel" Erol was named after a small village on the Firth of Tay, Scotland.

Euphemia
The most south easterly township of the County, and in point of acreage, the smallest, containing thirty-nine thousand, six hundred acres of land.

The Sydenham River enters the township at its extreme north at Aberfeldy, and winds easterly and south until it emerges from the Township at Florence. All this western portion of the township is very fertile land. It is essentially and strictly an agricultural community. The lands of the eastern and southern portion are inclined to be sandy loam, the surface being more or less undulated, while to the north and west a general flatness distinguishes the topography, and the soil being much heavier. The western portion is splendidly adapted for grain growing, while the eastern portion is more adapted for grazing and fruit growing.

The township was set apart from Zone about 1848, but the original survey of the township was performed in 1822 by Samuel Smith. The first settler in the township was David Fancher, in 1825. The township was named after Mrs. Euphemia Cameron, mother of the Honourable Malcolm Cameron, who at that time represented the district in the Baldwin-Lafontaine Government.

Euphemia is a Greek word meaning "good language" "silence" "praise."

The Dominion census of 1921 gives its population as 1521.

Lambton County


Add/Correct a Link

Comments/Submit Data


Copyright 2002-2017 by Canadian Genealogy
The WebPages may be linked to but shall not be reproduced on another site without written permission.