Canadian Genealogy |Ontario Genealogy | Lambton County

Genealogy Records
Ontario Archives
Ontario Biographies
Ontario Cemetery Records
Ontario Census Records
Ontario Church Records
Ontario Court Records
Ontario Directories
Ontario Genealogy Societies
Ontario Immigration Records
Ontario Indian Tribes
Ontario Land and Maps
Ontario Mailing Lists
Ontario Military Records
Ontario Newspapers
Ontario Obituaries
Ontario Online Books
Ontario Vital Records

Ontario Counties
Victoria County
Lambton County
Middlesex County

Free Genealogy Forms
Family Tree Chart
Research Calendar
Research Extract
Free Census Forms
Correspondence Record
Family Group Chart
Source Summary


FREE Web Site Hosting at
Canadian Genealogy

Ontario Counties
Victoria County
Lambton County
Middlesex County

Genealogy Records
Ontario Archives
Ontario Biographies
Ontario Cemetery Records
Ontario Census Records
Ontario Church Records
Ontario Court Records
Ontario Directories
Ontario Genealogy Societies
Ontario Immigration Records
Ontario Indian Tribes
Ontario Land and Maps
Ontario Mailing Lists
Ontario Military Records
Ontario Newspapers
Ontario Obituaries
Ontario Online Books
Ontario Vital Records

Free Genealogy Forms
Family Tree Chart
Research Calendar
Research Extract
Free Census Forms
Correspondence Record
Family Group Chart
Source Summary

New Genealogy Data
Family Tree Search
Biographies

Genealogy Books For Sale

Genealogy Library

Indian Mythology

US Genealogy

 

Other Websites

Garden Herbs

Lavish Treats

Calorie Counter


FREE Web Site Hosting at
Canadian Genealogy

 

 

Lambton County, Ontario Canada Names and Places -C- 

Cairo
A village in the Township of Euphemia. Until recent years it bore the name Sutherland's Corners, after the Sutherland family. The length of this name caused a petition to be sent to the Postal Department for a change of name. Cairo was the name finally given, probably after Cairo, Egypt, or Cairo, Missouri, just which is not made clear in the records before us.

Camlachie
A small village in the Township of Plympton, on the C. N. R., some twenty miles from Sarnia. It was founded by one Duncan McDonald in 1862, and named after his birthplace in Scotland, now a ward or part of the City of Glasgow.

This village contains three churches, several stores and many cosy comfortable homes, and caters splendidly to the needs of a thrifty community.

Chematagon
A point in the St. Clair River. This is called by navigators "Jimmie Tagan," it is a small channel separating Squirrel Island from Walpole Island, it empties nearly at right angles to the waters of the St. Clair River and is very winding. In Indian tongue, it means a stream that runs away from another. This you will see is very appropriate.

Charlemont
A post office in the Township of Sombra, named after a barracks in Ireland. The first postmaster was Andrew Brown. Like most other rural post offices it no longer operates, but a general store still bears the name and marks the place where the post office first opened.

Colinville
Lot 14, Con. 9, Moore Township, opened as a post office about 1840 and continued until the coming of rural mail delivery. So named after Colin McDermott, an early settler and at one time mail carrier.

Copleston
The name given to the post office operating in the village of Marthaville, there being another post office bearing the name Marthaville in Canada. To avoid confusion, the postal department gave the name Copleston. The property on which MarthaviIle now stands was owned by Richard Smith, who surveyed it into village lots. He was an Englishman and a builder by trade, and when a name was asked for the post office, he suggested Copplestone, which, reduced to Copleston, was accepted.

Corey
A station and post office on M. C. R. just south of Petrolia. Named after Harrison Corey, a prominent oil man of Petrolia. It no longer operates as a post office, but is a way station of the above road.

Corunna
A delightfully situated village in the township of Moore and on the St. Clair River, six miles from Sarnia. It bears its name from the battle fought and won by Sir John Moore. In recent years it has developed as a summer resort, and is the summer home of many. Opposite it is Stag Island.

Courtright
A thriving village of some five hundred people, six miles below Corunna, and also on the St. Clair River. It was named after Milton Courtright, president of the then Canada Southern Railroad.

It has several good business places, fine churches and cozy homes. Its chief industry is manufacture of salt, a large plant operating the year round. It, like its neighbor, Corunna, is a summer resort.

Cromar
A post office, Lot 4, Con. 3, Moore Township. The first postmaster was John Watson, son of Jas. Watson, clerk for years of Moore Township. It was named after a place in Aberdeenshire, Scotland.

Cuthbert
A post office situate on Lot 30, Con. 2, Dawn Township, opened about 1890. First postmaster, Alex. Cuthbertson, and named after him.

Lambton County


Add/Correct a Link

Comments/Submit Data


Copyright 2002-2017 by Canadian Genealogy
The WebPages may be linked to but shall not be reproduced on another site without written permission.