Canadian Genealogy |Ontario Genealogy | Lambton County

Genealogy Records
Ontario Archives
Ontario Biographies
Ontario Cemetery Records
Ontario Census Records
Ontario Church Records
Ontario Court Records
Ontario Directories
Ontario Genealogy Societies
Ontario Immigration Records
Ontario Indian Tribes
Ontario Land and Maps
Ontario Mailing Lists
Ontario Military Records
Ontario Newspapers
Ontario Obituaries
Ontario Online Books
Ontario Vital Records

Ontario Counties
Victoria County
Lambton County
Middlesex County

Free Genealogy Forms
Family Tree Chart
Research Calendar
Research Extract
Free Census Forms
Correspondence Record
Family Group Chart
Source Summary


FREE Web Site Hosting at
Canadian Genealogy

Ontario Counties
Victoria County
Lambton County
Middlesex County

Genealogy Records
Ontario Archives
Ontario Biographies
Ontario Cemetery Records
Ontario Census Records
Ontario Church Records
Ontario Court Records
Ontario Directories
Ontario Genealogy Societies
Ontario Immigration Records
Ontario Indian Tribes
Ontario Land and Maps
Ontario Mailing Lists
Ontario Military Records
Ontario Newspapers
Ontario Obituaries
Ontario Online Books
Ontario Vital Records

Free Genealogy Forms
Family Tree Chart
Research Calendar
Research Extract
Free Census Forms
Correspondence Record
Family Group Chart
Source Summary

New Genealogy Data
Family Tree Search
Biographies

Genealogy Books For Sale

Genealogy Library

Indian Mythology

US Genealogy

 

Other Websites

Garden Herbs

Lavish Treats

Calorie Counter


FREE Web Site Hosting at
Canadian Genealogy

 

 

Lambton County, Ontario Canada Names and Places -B- 

Baby's Point
The extreme south westerly portion of the Township of Sombra, so named after the Baby family, who early settled there.

Beaver Meadow
A post office opened in 1900 at the head of Booth Creek, Lot 25, Con. 1, Township of Dawn, so named by Wm. Nesbitt, from the beaver dams built there. First postmaster, Delbert Young. It no longer operates a a post office.

Beecher
Situated on the north branch of the Sydenham River, Lot 18, Concession 7, Township of Sombra. First opened as a post office about 1865 and named by the Postal Department after Henry C. R. Beecher, a gentleman who owned considerable land in the County.

A store, the Orange Hall and Anglican Church, today comprise the village. It is still operated as a post office, having two rural routes and distribution. Beecher's mail service is delivered from Wallaceburg.

Bentpath
A post office opened on Lot 21, Con. 4, Township of Dawn, about 1898, named after a path in Scotland. John McLachlan was the first postmaster.

Bickford
A post office opened at Watson Station on the Pere Marquette Railway, named after Mr. E. O. Bickford, one of the officials of the old Erie & Huron Railway, the Postal Department declining the name of Watson, there being another post office bearing that name in Canada.

Birnham
A post office situate Lot 19, Con. 5, N. E. R. Township of Warwick, supposed to be named after a small place in Scotland. A Gaelic word meaning "Hero's House."

Birkhall
A post office located on Lot 7, Con. 6, Moore Township, with John McKenzie as postmaster. It passed out with the opening of Seckerton. It owes its name to English origin.

Blackwell
A station on the Canadian National Railway, seven miles east of Sarnia. Is called after Thomas E. Blackwell, an Englishman. He was by profession, a civil engineer, became Managing Director of the Grand Trunk Railway and from 1857 to 1862, the General Manager of that Railway in Canada.

Blue Point
A somewhat pronounced point on Lake Huron, situate opposite Lot 37, Front Concession, Plympton Township. On old marine charts it was known as Point Harris. Probably bears its name from the high banks of blue clay that extend out into the lake at this point.

Bosanquet
Occupies a more northerly position than any other portion of Lambton. It is one of the east tier Townships and is isolated in its position by its bordering Lake Huron on the north west. It reduces in width and reaches a mere point at the northern extremity. Bosanquet contains about seventy-five thousand acres including two Indian Reserves, on the shore of Lake Huron, aggregating about six thousand acres. The first settlers in Bosanquet Township arrived about 1833.

For the greater part the township is rich and fertile, though having some waste portions as it nears the northern apex. It's shore line makes a beautiful drive from Kettle Point to Port Frank, the sands of the beach being so firm as to make a beautiful roadway. It was named after Mr. Charles Bosanquet, who was the first President of the Canada Company, which Company owned a goodly portion of this Township. It's population in 1921 was twenty-three hundred and thirty-two.

Bradshaw
A post office opened at Lot 26, ,Con. 15, Township of Sombra. The first postmaster was Wm. Bradshaw, after whom it was named, not now operating.

Brewster
The name at one time borne by the Lambton section of Grand Bend, called after a Mr. Brewster, a mill owner at the point. It operated for some time as a post office.

Brigden
A thriving police village in the Township of Moore, situate on the M. C. R. So named after John Brigden, one of the Canada Southern Railway engineers, who surveyed the road. It has several good stores, churches, and a thrifty population of about three hundred and is the center of a thriving agricultural district.

Brooke
This township was named after Sir James Brooke, whose exploits from 1837 to 1847 in establishing a British Protectorate in a portion of Borneo, made him the popular hero of the day. The township was surveyed by Samuel Smith in 1832, and opened for sale in the latter part of 1833, a very large portion of it being taken up by the United Empire Loyalists.

It is one of the eastern tier of townships. Its soil, generally speaking, is clay loam, and with ditching and proper drainage, has become one of the most productive townships in Ontario. The main branch of the Sydenham river commonly known as Bear Creek, traverses in an uneven course the south east corner of the township, and several branches of the same meander through the whole eastern half, the western portion being free from streams.

It's homes, schools, churches and general appearance denote thrift and plenty.

Brooke has an area of 74,049 acres, and its population by the 1921 census was 2703.

Bunyan
A post office, situate on the Second Concession of Sarnia Township. It was opened about 1875 at the residence of Ebenezer Watson, a pioneer of this township who settled there in 1836. Mr. Watson became the first postmaster. This settlement was largely of the Baptist faith, Mr. Watson being a Baptist and named it Bunyan after John Bunyan, famous as the author of `Pilgrim's Progress'. A Baptist Church still bears the name Bunyan, though the post office is no longer operating.

Burns
Situate at the corner of the 12th Concession of Moore and 18th side road. Burns Presbyterian Church is known the country side over. It was so named after the Rev. William Burns, who established and opened the church. Mr. Burns was one of the first Professors of Knox College.

Lambton County


Add/Correct a Link

Comments/Submit Data


Copyright 2002-2017 by Canadian Genealogy
The WebPages may be linked to but shall not be reproduced on another site without written permission.