Canadian Genealogy |Ontario Genealogy | Lambton County

Genealogy Records
Ontario Archives
Ontario Biographies
Ontario Cemetery Records
Ontario Census Records
Ontario Church Records
Ontario Court Records
Ontario Directories
Ontario Genealogy Societies
Ontario Immigration Records
Ontario Indian Tribes
Ontario Land and Maps
Ontario Mailing Lists
Ontario Military Records
Ontario Newspapers
Ontario Obituaries
Ontario Online Books
Ontario Vital Records

Ontario Counties
Victoria County
Lambton County
Middlesex County

Free Genealogy Forms
Family Tree Chart
Research Calendar
Research Extract
Free Census Forms
Correspondence Record
Family Group Chart
Source Summary


FREE Web Site Hosting at
Canadian Genealogy

Ontario Counties
Victoria County
Lambton County
Middlesex County

Genealogy Records
Ontario Archives
Ontario Biographies
Ontario Cemetery Records
Ontario Census Records
Ontario Church Records
Ontario Court Records
Ontario Directories
Ontario Genealogy Societies
Ontario Immigration Records
Ontario Indian Tribes
Ontario Land and Maps
Ontario Mailing Lists
Ontario Military Records
Ontario Newspapers
Ontario Obituaries
Ontario Online Books
Ontario Vital Records

Free Genealogy Forms
Family Tree Chart
Research Calendar
Research Extract
Free Census Forms
Correspondence Record
Family Group Chart
Source Summary

New Genealogy Data
Family Tree Search
Biographies

Genealogy Books For Sale

Genealogy Library

Indian Mythology

US Genealogy

 

Other Websites

Garden Herbs

Lavish Treats

Calorie Counter


FREE Web Site Hosting at
Canadian Genealogy

 

 

 

Lambton County, Ontario Canada Names and Places -A- 

Aberarder
This little village is located on Lot 8, Con. 10, Township of Plympton, being a station on the Canadian National Railway twenty miles from Sarnia and five from Camlachie. It was settled in 1863. by Alex. Hamilton. The first post office was established there in 1863 with D. McBean. as first postmaster. It was so called after Aberarder in Scotland. It no longer operates as a post office, being closed with the coming of rural mail delivery.

Aberfeldy
A post office situated on Townline of Brooke and Euphemia Townships, more correctly on lot 34, concession 6, Euphemia. It was so named by Wm. Armstrong, for many years clerk of Euphemia Township, after a place in Scotland. John Grant was the first postmaster. It is one of the few rural post offices still operating.

Alvinston
A village situate on the Canada Southern Railway, or what is now known as the Michigan Central Railway. It is distant about 35 miles from Sarnia, and about 10 miles almost due south from Watford, and is in the Township of Brooke. It has a population of some 800 souls, and is pleasantly situated in the center of a fine agricultural district, peopled by exceedingly thrifty families.

The history of Alvinston dates back to a period prior to 1839, when one Archibald Gardiner, uncle of the Gardiner Brothers, Hardware Merchants, of Sarnia, established a saw mill on the east side of Bear 'Creek, operating it until, with the Mormon migration, he went to Nauvoo, Illinois. At this time the place was known as Gardiner's Mill. Later on mills were built on the west side of the river and operated by a Mr. J. W. Brennan, and the place for some time was called Brennan's Mills. Following this period, the little village was named Alvinston. The best information that can be obtained is that it was so named after a village on the Isle of Wight, called Alverstone. Just why it was changed to Alvinston is not apparent. In its early days Alvinston was only a postal village on the traveled postal road which ran from Watford to Florence, and its mail service was supplied from this source.

Alvinston still remains a thriving village, with well-kept business places, comfortable homes, and fine churches.

Arkona
This history of the settlement of Arkona dates from 1821. During that year, Asa Townsend located on a tract of three hundred and ninety acres of land, which he obtained from the Government.

As early as 1859, the territory hereabout had become so thickly settled as to assume somewhat the appearance of a village. In 1876 it was created a village.

It is one of the most pleasantly situated villages in Lambton County, it is close to the Aux Sauble River and the beautiful spot known as Rock Glen, which is later described in this booklet.

Prior to 1850 it was known as Eastman's Corners. About this date an agitation arose to have the name changed, (it now being on the proposed line of the G. T. R.) A public meeting was called, and from many suggested names, Arkona was selected. If our information is correct, it was named after Akron, Ohio, but the party suggesting the name spelled it A-r-k-o-n-a, and when the proper spelling was discovered the people preferred the name as given, Arkona. The first postmaster was Joseph Hilborn, and the first post office opened in 1851. While not situated on the railroad, (the first survey being changed to run some 6 miles north), it is a very thriving village, surrounded as it is by a good farming and fruit country.

Atkin
Rural post office opened at Lot 34, Con. 2, Euphemia, in 1897. So named after the first postmaster, Richard Atkin. It passed with the coming of rural mail delivery.

Aughrim
A rural post office, first opened at what was known as Lower Aughrim, in the Township of Euphemia. The first postmaster was Andrew Bell, and was named after Aughrim in Ireland. The post office was later removed to the home of John McKune, reeve of the township of Brooke, which lay farther north. As a post office it passed out with the opening of the Aberfeldy office. At Lower Aughrim the Anglican Church alone remains to claim the name.

Aux Saubles
The name of the river bounding the north eastern portion of Lambton County and flowing into Lake Huron at Grand Bend. The name means "The River of Sands." The scenery along the banks of this river at some points is very picturesque and at no place more so than around Arkona.

Avonroy
A post office situated on Lot 16, Con. 14, Sombra Township. Peter Grant was first postmaster, and the office bore its name from the farm on which Mr. Grant was born in Invernesshire, Scotland. It also ceased to operate with the introduction of rural mail delivery.

Lambton County


Add/Correct a Link

Comments/Submit Data


Copyright 2002-2017 by Canadian Genealogy
The WebPages may be linked to but shall not be reproduced on another site without written permission.