Nova Scotia Counties
Nova Scotia Archives
Nova Scotia Biographies
Nova Scotia Cemetery Records
Nova Scotia Census Records
Nova Scotia Church Records
Nova Scotia Court Records
Nova Scotia Directories
Nova Scotia Genealogy Societies
Nova Scotia Home Pages
Nova Scotia Immigration Records
Nova Scotia Indian Tribes
Nova Scotia Land and Maps
Nova Scotia Mailing Lists
Nova Scotia Military Records
Nova Scotia Newspapers
Nova Scotia Obituaries
Nova Scotia Online Books
Nova Scotia Vital Records
Free Genealogy Forms
Family Group Chart
New Genealogy Data
Family Tree Search
Genealogy Books For Sale
Track Your Diet
FREE Web Site Hosting at
Ministers and Churches in West River and Green Hill
Ministers And Churches In West River And Green Hill
The West River is one of the oldest congregations in the County.
Rev. Duncan Ross took the pastoral oversight of the congregation in
1795 and continued to be pastor for 39 years. He was succeeded by
his son, Rev. James Ross, D. D., who was inducted in 1835, and
resigned in 1852.
James Watson followed him and remained for 5 years. In 1858 the
congregation was divided into two separate charges. The one known as
Central Church called Rev. James Thomson and the other congregation,
Rev. George Roddick. At the close of 20 years' service, both
resigned, when a reunion was affected, in 1879, and Rev. A. W.
McLeod settled as pastor. In 1886 Rev. J. F. Forbes was inducted and
Green Hill was united with West River. Rev. J. R. Coffin was called
in 1895 and Rev. C. J. Crowdis in 1907.
The present pastor is Rev. A. H. Foster, inducted in 1913. The West
River congregation has always been a centre of educational and
The church at Green Hill was built in 1848. Rev. George Patterson,
D.D., was the first minister, inducted 1849, resigned 1876. Rev.
William Stuart was pastor 1877 to 1884. The other pastors were:
Revs. Forbes, Coffin, Crowdis and Foster.
Pictonians at Home and Abroad, 1914