Nova Scotia Counties
Nova Scotia Archives
Nova Scotia Biographies
Nova Scotia Cemetery Records
Nova Scotia Census Records
Nova Scotia Church Records
Nova Scotia Court Records
Nova Scotia Directories
Nova Scotia Genealogy Societies
Nova Scotia Home Pages
Nova Scotia Immigration Records
Nova Scotia Indian Tribes
Nova Scotia Land and Maps
Nova Scotia Mailing Lists
Nova Scotia Military Records
Nova Scotia Newspapers
Nova Scotia Obituaries
Nova Scotia Online Books
Nova Scotia Vital Records
Free Genealogy Forms
Family Group Chart
New Genealogy Data
Family Tree Search
Genealogy Books For Sale
Track Your Diet
FREE Web Site Hosting at
Additional Pictou Missionaries
Rev. Dr. Grant is a native of Pictou, born
there in 1839. His first charge was at Merigomish, N. S. He retired
from the Trinidad mission in 1907, after thirty-seven years of most
faithful and devoted service. He is now engaged in mission work
among the Coolies in Vancouver, B. C. Dr. Grant was first married to
Miss Sarah Geddes, Yarmouth. His second wife was Miss Copeland of
Merigomish, N. S. A son of his, Rev. George A. Grant, is pastor at
Black River Bridge, N. B.; another son, G. Geddes Grant, born in
Pictou, is a leading business man in Port of Spain, West Indies.
Rev. William L. Macrae was born at Abercrombie, Pictou Co.,
and was educated at Dalhousie College and Pine Hill. He began his
work in Trinidad in 1886, and was located at Princestown. Here he
labored most faithfully and successfully in missionary and
educational work for nearly nineteen years, until his health failing
him, he returned home. Since July 1905 he has been serving a
congregation at Golden, B. C. Mr. Macrae was first married to Miss
Elizabeth Creelman, Stewiacke, N. S. She died in 1889. His present
wife was Miss Sadie Mitchell, Merigomish, N. S.
Rev. A. W. Thomson was appointed missionary to Couva in 1890.
Mr. Thomson is a son of the late Rev. James Thomson, and was born at
Durham, Pictou Co. Graduating from Dalhousie University in 1885, he
took his theological course at Princeton Seminary. For twenty years
Mr. Thomson labored with great energy and with conspicuous success
in the mission field. Ill health compelled him to resign and return
to Nova Scotia. He is now pastor of Knox Church, Pictou, inducted
there in 1911. His brother, Rev. William McC. Thomson, is pastor of
Greyfriars Church, Port of Spain, Trinidad.
Pictou has sent three of her sons to do missionary work in far off
India. Rev. Charles M. Grant, D. D., was for three years a
missionary in India. He was sent out in connection with the India
Mission Committee of the church of Scotland. While settled as a
pastor in Halifax, he resigned at the request of Dr. Norman McLeod
to preach to the educated natives of Calcutta, where his lectures
were attended by hundreds of English speaking natives. His promising
career was arrested by a severe illness, whereupon he was ordered
home. A year later he accepted a call to Glasgow, Scotland, and then
to Dundee. The Rev. Dr. Grant is a Pictonian, a brother of the late
Principal Grant. He retired from active service a few years ago and
makes his home in Dundee.
Rev. Robert C. Murray was sent to India in 1885 by the
Western section of the Church St. Paul's Church, Montreal,
undertaking his support. Mr. Murray was a son of Hugh Murray and was
born in Cariboo, Pictou Co., educated in Arts and Theology at
Queen's University, Ontario. He graduated in the spring of 1885. In
the fall of that year he began his work in Ujjain the oldest city in
India, with rare tact and zeal. A year later, Miss Charlotte Wilson,
daughter of the late Charles Wilson, Pictou, joined him and they
were married. In less than a year Mrs. Murray died and four months
later Mr. Murray himself died suddenly of sun stroke. "Lovely and
pleasant were they in their lives, and in death they were not
divided." Kenneth G. MacKay, B. S. A., Toronto Univ., was sent by
the Canadian Church, 1906 to Central India to instruct the natives
in agricultural and industrial work. He resigned in 1912, and
returned to Pictou, his native place. Rev. William R. McKay is
stationed at Kongmoon, South China. Mr. McKay was first sent to
Macao, in 1902, and was the first missionary located there. He
devotes most of his time to educational work. He was born in
Springville, Pictou Co., and is a son of Mr. Joseph McKay, an elder
in the Springville Presbyterian. Church. He graduated from Dalhousie
College in 1896, taking a B. D. degree from Princeton Seminary, in
1901. For three years previous to his departure for China, he held a
pastorate at Noel and Kennetcook. He married Miss Mary O'Brien, B.
Sc., Noel, N. S. Knox Church, Regina, supports them.
Rev. George M. Ross, B. A., son of Alexander Ross, was born
at Blue Mountain, Pictou, and studied theology at Pine Hill, where
he graduated in 1901. He married, Minnie Robertson of Ontario. He
was sent as a missionary to North Honan, China, in 1903, where he is
now laboring. He is supported by St. John's Church, Toronto.
Rev. Luther L. Young is Pictou's representative in. Korea. He
went out in 1906 and is settled in Ham Heung. He was born at
Millsville, Pictou Co., graduated from Dalhousie University in 1903,
and three years later from Pine Hill. He is married to Catherine F.
Mair, B. A., Campbelltown, N. B. The first Presbyterian Church, New
Glasgow supports Mr. and Mrs. Young.
Rev. D. G. Cock, a descendant of Rev. Daniel Cock the first
settled minister of Truro, was appointed missionary to Mhow, Central
India. He was born in the West River Valley, and graduated from Pine
Hill in 1899. Soon after, he was sent as an ordained missionary to
Alaska where he spent three years. On the eve of his departure as
missionary to India in 1902, he was married to a college classmate,
Miss Ella Maxwell, Halifax, N. S
So far as known, none of Pictou's fair daughters have entered the
ministerial or legal professions or ventured far into the fields of
literature and science. They have devoted their lives to the humbler
yet equally important spheres of the home and the schoolroom. The
county has been the home of the very best type of capable and self
sacrificing mothers and wives. Much of its fame and influence is due
to them. Many families have furnished teachers for the public
schools some families as many as half a dozen. For that matter,
nearly every man in the professional lists in this book, at one time
or another, taught school; and as the students from the Academy and
College went out into the country districts to teach in the summer,
they had much to do with making Pictou the literary and educational
centre which it is.
A few Pictou women have studied medicine, and over a dozen have gone
to be missionaries and teachers in foreign lands, and have been
faithful and fruitful workers for the Master. The first to go was
Miss Mary B. McKay, a daughter of Mr. James McKay, elder,
Stellarton, N. S. She was sent by the Western section of the Church
to Central India, in 1888. She was only a short time in. the field
when she was married to Rev. John Buchanan, M. D., of Ontario. Mrs.
Buchanan is a graduate of Mt. Allison Ladies' College, Sackville, N.
B., and of the Ladies' Medical College, Toronto. She is now living
in Amkhut, Central India, where she and her husband are successfully
engaged in missionary and medical work among the Bhils.
Mrs. Elizabeth M. Butler went to India as an officer of the
Salvation Army, in. 1898, but in a few years joined the Friend's
Foreign Missionary Association of England with her husband, the late
Edward J. Butler. Altogether she has given eighteen years of active
service with Sohagpur as a centre. Mrs. Butler is a daughter of the
late James McLaren, Wentworth Grant, Pictou Co.
Cariboo, Pictou Co., has sent two missionaries from the same house
to labor in India Misses Jemima and Mary McKenzie. In 1904,
Jemima McKenzie was appointed, under the Women's Union Missionary
Society of America, to medical work in Cawnpore, India. Two years
later she went to Fatephur where she had charge of a large hospital
which she was largely instrumental in building, and of which she is
now in full charge. In 1905, her sister, Mary McKenzie, was
appointed to succeed her in Cawnpore where for nearly six years she
engaged in Medical and Bible work. In 1911 she was married to Rev.
A. A. Smith, Verschoyle, Ont. The two sisters are graduates of
Dalhousie University and the Medical School, Halifax, and are highly
esteemed both for their work and their personal qualities.
From the Millsville district, Pictou Co., three young women have
given their lives to the cause of missions. Miss Annie Young,
a sister of Rev. L. L. Young, was settled at Wan Chi, Central China,
in 1897. She was educated at Pictou Academy and in the Christian
Alliance Institute, New York City, under whose auspices she is now
laboring. Miss Jennie Fraser, also of Millsville, sailed for
India in 1898. She has charge of a mission station at Shantipur. Her
sister, Agnes Fraser, (now Mrs. John N. Culver, a missionary
from the U. S. A.), went to India in 1904 and is located in Dholka,
India. They were both trained for missionary work in the Christian
Alliance School, at Nyack, N. Y., and are working under its Board.
Miss Mary S. Herdman, daughter of the late Rev. Andrew
Herdman, Pictou, is doing missionary and educational work in Dhar,
Central India. She was first sent out to Northern India in 1903 by
the Church of England, but for the last dozen years she has been
under the control of the Canadian Church and is supported by the W.
M. F. Society, Toronto. She helps in the Dispensary, and acts as
Bible teacher to women.
Another clergyman's daughter, Miss Bessie McCunn, daughter of
the late Rev. R. McCunn, River John, is laboring in Jhansi, India.
She was first appointed as teacher to Princestown, Trinidad in 1900,
and spent five years there. Afterwards she attended the Ewart
Missionary Training School Toronto, and while there was appointed by
the Women's Union Missionary Society, N. Y., to go to India. Her
work includes Hospital and Zenana work, and the superintending of
day and Sunday schools.
Miss Maud M. Rogers, daughter of Mr. B. D. Rogers, Stellarton,
was sent out, in. 1909, by the Canadian Church and is now laboring
in Song Jin, Korea. She took a course in Domestic Science in Boston.
Priscilla McDonald, daughter of Mr. John McL. McDonald,
Durham, Pictou, (now the wife of Rev. Willard S. Tedford) is in the
mission field in Rayagadda, India. Mrs. Bessie A. Robb, wife of Rev.
A. F. Robb, Korea, is a daughter of Rev. Robert Cumming, D. D.,
Westville, N. S. They were appointed to Wonsan in 1901, and are
supported by St. Paul's Church, Fredericton, N. B. Miss Jenny Hazel
Kirk, daughter of J. H. Kirk, East River St. Mary's, Pictou Co., was
appointed by the Foreign Mission Board of the Maritime Synod to
Wonsan, Korea. She sailed December 5, 1913, from Vancouver, B. C. A
daughter of William Cameron, County Clerk, Pictou, Christina
Cameron, was married to Rev. Fred Paton, son of Rev. John Paton, D.
D., and was engaged in mission work with her husband in Malekula,
New Hebrides. She died April, 1914.
It will thus be seen that Pictou County has made notable
contributions to the cause of Missions. Great honor has fallen to
her in sending forth such a noble band of men and women to publish
the message of the King.
Pictonians at Home and Abroad, 1914