Nova Scotia Counties
Nova Scotia Archives
Nova Scotia Biographies
Nova Scotia Cemetery Records
Nova Scotia Census Records
Nova Scotia Church Records
Nova Scotia Court Records
Nova Scotia Directories
Nova Scotia Genealogy Societies
Nova Scotia Home Pages
Nova Scotia Immigration Records
Nova Scotia Indian Tribes
Nova Scotia Land and Maps
Nova Scotia Mailing Lists
Nova Scotia Military Records
Nova Scotia Newspapers
Nova Scotia Obituaries
Nova Scotia Online Books
Nova Scotia Vital Records
Free Genealogy Forms
Family Group Chart
New Genealogy Data
Family Tree Search
Genealogy Books For Sale
Track Your Diet
FREE Web Site Hosting at
Pictonians in the Pulpit
The Ministers And Churches In The
Town Of Pictou
A Brief history of the local churches in the County,
with a list of the clergymen connected with them, from their
organization to the present time, is here presented. It is much to
be regretted that it is more or less imperfect, owing to the loss of
records and the difficulty in securing definite information.
What has long been known as Prince Street Church, Pictou, was
originally a section of the field of Dr. McGregor and Mr. Ross. It
was formed into a separate congregation in 1801, as the Harbor
District. In 1804, Rev. Thomas McCulloch came to it as its first
minister. For twenty years he was the only clergyman in Pictou Town.
He resigned in 1824, and was succeeded by Rev. John McKinlay who
died in 1850. Rev. James Bayne, D.D., was inducted in 1851, and
continued as minister until his death, in 1876. Rev. William Donald
followed, from 1878 to 1883. He was succeeded by Rev. Alex.
Falconer, D.D., who served for nearly a quarter of a century. Rev.
Geo. C. Taylor followed. Rev. A. D. Archibald, M. A., the present
minister was inducted in 1913.
The first election of elders took place on May 6, 1787, when John
Patterson and John Fraser were chosen to represent the Harbor
District. In 1809 the session was increased by the addition of Geo.
Ives, John Patterson and David Pottinger.
The first minister of St. Andrew's Church was Rev. K. J. McKenzie,
who was followed by Rev. Mr. Williamson. Rev. Andrew Herdman, of
Scotland, was inducted into the charge in 1849, and ministered for
thirty years. He was followed by Rev. Robt. Burnet, in 1880; Rev.
John C. Callan, in 1886; Rev. Robt. Atkinson, in 1889; Rev. Andrew
Armit, 1893, and Rev. W. T. D. Moss, 1897. The present incumbent,
Rev. L. H. MacLean, M. A., was inducted March 23, 1904.
The first minister of Knox Church was Rev. Murdoch Sutherland. The
next pastor was Rev. Alexander Ross, 1860 to 1879. He was followed
by Rev. James Carruthers, 1880 to 1885. Rev. Geo. S. Carson, B. A.,
was inducted in 1885, and resigned to become Editor of the
Presbyterian Witness. Rev. Wm. McNally followed from 1908 to 1910.
The present minister, Rev. A. W. Thomson, was inducted in 1911. The
first Session consisted of Donald Ferguson, Murdoch McKenzie, and
Alexander McLeod. Alexander McKenzie, William McKenzie and Alexander
Murray. Over a dozen young men from this church have given
themselves to the ministry.
Pictonians at Home and Abroad, 1914