Nova Scotia Counties
Nova Scotia Archives
Nova Scotia Biographies
Nova Scotia Cemetery Records
Nova Scotia Census Records
Nova Scotia Church Records
Nova Scotia Court Records
Nova Scotia Directories
Nova Scotia Genealogy Societies
Nova Scotia Home Pages
Nova Scotia Immigration Records
Nova Scotia Indian Tribes
Nova Scotia Land and Maps
Nova Scotia Mailing Lists
Nova Scotia Military Records
Nova Scotia Newspapers
Nova Scotia Obituaries
Nova Scotia Online Books
Nova Scotia Vital Records
Free Genealogy Forms
Family Group Chart
New Genealogy Data
Family Tree Search
Genealogy Books For Sale
Track Your Diet
FREE Web Site Hosting at
Ministers and Churches in New Glasgow
The History of the churches in New Glasgow is
largely the history of the Town, for they have played a foremost
part in its life and growth.
In 1787 a log church was built on the West side of the river. This
was used until 1803 when a frame church was erected at Irishtown. In
1834 the congregation was incorporated under the name of James
Church and in 1852 a large wooden building was erected in the town
of New Glasgow.
The first minister was the Rev. James McGregor, D. D. He came in
1786, and died in 1830. He was succeeded by Rev. David Roy, D. D.,
who came to Nova Scotia in 1830, and the following year was inducted
minister of the congregation. He labored faithfully until laid aside
by failing health in 1871. He died in. 1873, aged 82 years, having
preached the gospel for forty years with great energy and power.
Rev. E. A. McCurdy, D. D., was minister from 1871-1891. He was
succeeded by Rev. James Carruthers, 1892-1904. Rev. G. Ernest
Forbes, was inducted in 1904, and continues in charge.
On May 30, 1888, the new St. Andrew's congregation was organized.
The ministers have been: Rev. Alexander Robertson, 1888-1896, and
Rev. W. Mac. Thomson, 1897-1906. On Nov. 5, 1907, James Church and
New St. Andrew's united under the ministry of Rev. G. E. Forbes,
with the name First Presbyterian Church. On Nov. 5, 1912, the
cornerstone of the First Presbyterian Church was laid on the site of
old James Church. It was opened and dedicated to public worship,
April 12, 1914. The congregation worshipped in. New St. Andrew's
Church from June 1908 until the opening of their new church home.
St. Andrew's Congregation was formed from the Church at Fraser's
Mountain, and Rev. Donald A. Fraser, was minister until 1837. Rev.
John Stewart was the second pastor, 1838-1845. For eight years they
were without a pastor after the disruption. Rev. Allan Pollock was
settled there in 1853 and continued until 1875. The other ministers
of this church have been: Rev. George Murray, Rev. George Coull,
Rev. Archibald Bowman, Rev. S. J. McArthur, B. D. The present
incumbent, Rev. James A. Ramsay, B.A., was inducted in 1898.
Primitive Church was an off shoot from James Church, and was
organized, May 25, 1845. The first meetings were held in the old
Temperance Hall. Primitive Church was built in. 1849 on the corner
of Provost and McLean Streets. In 1848 Rev. George Walker arrived in
Pictou from Scotland. He accepted a call to this church and was
inducted Sept. 20, 1848. He was its only pastor. In 1873 the church
was enlarged. In 1874 it was burnt. In 1845 Knox Church was built by
the Free Church adherents. Rev. Mr. Stewart was the minister of Knox
Church, 1845-1866. He was succeeded by Rev. John M. Macleod and Rev.
Robert Cumming, D. D.
In the autumn of 1874, the year of the great fire, the two
congregations got together and formed the United Church. They
continued to worship in. Knox Church until January 9, 1876, when the
present building was opened and occupied. Rev. Mr. Walker was
minister of the United Church until 1878, when he was relieved by
the settlement of Rev. E. Scott, the congregation making Mr. Walker,
Pastor Emeritus. Mr. Walker was a preacher of great ability and
power. He was a most faithful minister, and in every way adorned his
calling. He died Feb. 4, 1884, in the seventy-ninth year of his age.
Rev. E. Scott, D. D. retired in 1891, and was succeeded by Rev.
Anderson Rogers, D. D., who was pastor from July 1893 to March 1908.
Rev. John H. MacVicar, D. D. was minister from December 10, 1908 to
March 17, 1912. Rev. J. MaCartney Wilson, B. D., was inducted in
May, 1913. Peter A. McGregor has been treasurer of the United Church
since its organization, and, for three years was treasurer of
The First Presbyterian Church, Trenton, was organized in 1889 and
the Church built in 1890. Rev. A. W. Thomson was pastor from 1889 to
1890; Rev. H. R. Grant, April 13, 1891 to April 1904; Rev. D. C.
Ross, Nov. 8, 1904 to Sept. 1913. Rev. A. A. Macleod, present
pastor, was inducted 1914.
Pictonians at Home and Abroad, 1914