Canadian Genealogy | Pictou County |

Nova Scotia Counties
Pictou County

Genealogy Records
Nova Scotia Archives
Nova Scotia Biographies
Nova Scotia Cemetery Records
Nova Scotia Census Records
Nova Scotia Church Records
Nova Scotia Court Records
Nova Scotia Directories
Nova Scotia Genealogy Societies
Nova Scotia Home Pages
Nova Scotia Immigration Records
Nova Scotia Indian Tribes
Nova Scotia Land and Maps
Nova Scotia Mailing Lists
Nova Scotia Military Records
Nova Scotia Newspapers
Nova Scotia Obituaries
Nova Scotia Online Books
Nova Scotia Vital Records

Free Genealogy Forms
Family Tree Chart
Research Calendar
Research Extract
Free Census Forms
Correspondence Record
Family Group Chart
Source Summary

New Genealogy Data
Family Tree Search
Biographies

Genealogy Books For Sale

Indian Mythology

US Genealogy

 

Other Websites

Fishing Facts

Garden Notes

Track Your Diet


FREE Web Site Hosting at
Canadian Genealogy

 

 

 

Ministers and Churches of Stellarton

St. John's Church was organized in connection with the Kirk body. It was an offshoot from St. Andrew's Church, New Glasgow. Rev. Wm. M. Phillips was the first minister, inducted in 1863. In 1871, Rev. Chas. A. Dunn was settled over the congregation. He was followed by Rev. E. H. Burgess and Rev. D. M. Matheson. Rev. W. L. Cunningham, the present minister was inducted in 1908.

Sharon Church is a child of old St. James' Church, New Glasgow. The original Sharon Church was built on the banks of the River, near Dr. Donnelly's house. On the 5th of June, 1856, Rev. A. J. Mowatt, D.D., was settled as the first pastor of the church. Wm. McPherson was the father of the session of Sharon Church. He opened the first Presbyterian Sunday School when there were only eight scholars; and afterwards became the first Superintendent of the Sunday School. Dr. Mowatt was followed by Rev. Thos. Cumming, D.D. who served the church for ten years, 1875-1885. The Church was fortunate in having such able and eloquent ministers at its beginning. Rev. J. H. Turnbull was pastor another ten years, 1885-1895. Rev. Wm. M. Tufts, B.D., became the fourth pastor in 1896, remaining twelve years. Rev. M. S. Fulton was ordained 1909, and resigned in 1913. The present pastor is the Rev. C. C. McIntosh, B.A., inducted 1913.

Additional Resources

Ministers Born In Stellarton And Riverton

Pictonians at Home and Abroad, 1914

 

Pictou County


Add/Correct a Link

Comments/Submit Data


Copyright 2002-2017 by Canadian Genealogy
The WebPages may be linked to but shall not be reproduced on another site without written permission.