Nova Scotia Counties
Nova Scotia Archives
Nova Scotia Biographies
Nova Scotia Cemetery Records
Nova Scotia Census Records
Nova Scotia Church Records
Nova Scotia Court Records
Nova Scotia Directories
Nova Scotia Genealogy Societies
Nova Scotia Home Pages
Nova Scotia Immigration Records
Nova Scotia Indian Tribes
Nova Scotia Land and Maps
Nova Scotia Mailing Lists
Nova Scotia Military Records
Nova Scotia Newspapers
Nova Scotia Obituaries
Nova Scotia Online Books
Nova Scotia Vital Records
Free Genealogy Forms
Family Group Chart
New Genealogy Data
Family Tree Search
Genealogy Books For Sale
Track Your Diet
FREE Web Site Hosting at
Ministers and Churches in Merigomish, Sutherland's River and other
Ministers And Churches In Merigomish, Sutherland's
River, Thorburn, Little Harbor And Bailey's Brook
The present church at Merigomish was built in 1869. The French River
Church, in 1861 or 1862. The two churches maintained a separate
existence from 1860 to about 1895, when they were united into one
charge. The ministers in order of induction were: Revs. Wm. Patrick,
A. P. Miller, K. J. Grant, H. McD. Scott, Daniel McGregor, C. S.
Lord, Wm. R. Muir, Alex. Campbell, and A. S. Weir. The present
pastor is A. F. Fisher, B. D., April 13, 1911.
Rev. Mr. Cock of Truro preached the first sermon in Merigomish at
Morrison's house, about 1784. The first elders were Walter Murray,
John Small, and George Roy.
The first settlers at Sutherland's River were from the Highlands of
Scotland. The River was named after Sutherland, whose son, John, was
the first child baptized belonging to Sutherland's River. Feb. 3,
1854 a site was bought for a church and the people proceeded to
build. The congregation was made up of members from the three
branches of the Presbyterian Church: the Kirk, the Free Church and
the Presbyterian Church of N. S., united. This was the first union
Presbyterian Church in the Province.
The Congregation of Thorburn was organized in 1875, and the two made
one charge. Rev. W. T. Bruce, M.D. was called in 1876, and resigned
in Jan. 1881. Rev. Isaac Murray, D.D. was inducted pastor in 1882;
Rev. A. W. McLeod 1885; Rev. James A. Mackenzie 1899. His successor
was Rev. John Harris, 1912. James W. McLean has been clerk of the
Session for 28 years, and choir leader for over 40 years.
The Little Harbor Congregation was organized in 1864, and Rev. J. A.
F. Sutherland was the first pastor. He was followed by Rev. Wm.
Maxwell in 1868, who also had charge of Fisher's Grant. During his
ministry the church was built. He resigned in 1880, and the pastors
who succeeded him were: Revs. Robert Laird, McLeod Harvey, John B.
Maclean, John W. Penman, R. J. Douglass, A. D. McIntosh and A. J.
McDonald (1910) the present pastor.
Pictonians at Home and Abroad, 1914