Canadian Genealogy | Pictou County |

Nova Scotia Counties
Pictou County

Genealogy Records
Nova Scotia Archives
Nova Scotia Biographies
Nova Scotia Cemetery Records
Nova Scotia Census Records
Nova Scotia Church Records
Nova Scotia Court Records
Nova Scotia Directories
Nova Scotia Genealogy Societies
Nova Scotia Home Pages
Nova Scotia Immigration Records
Nova Scotia Indian Tribes
Nova Scotia Land and Maps
Nova Scotia Mailing Lists
Nova Scotia Military Records
Nova Scotia Newspapers
Nova Scotia Obituaries
Nova Scotia Online Books
Nova Scotia Vital Records

Free Genealogy Forms
Family Tree Chart
Research Calendar
Research Extract
Free Census Forms
Correspondence Record
Family Group Chart
Source Summary

New Genealogy Data
Family Tree Search
Biographies

Genealogy Books For Sale

Indian Mythology

US Genealogy

 

Other Websites

Fishing Facts

Garden Notes

Track Your Diet


FREE Web Site Hosting at
Canadian Genealogy

 

 

 

Ministers and Churches in Hopewell

Hopewell is a village of about 450 people, with a beautiful country surrounding it. The first church was built in 1820, one and a half miles above the village. Rev. John Macrae was the first minister, 1827-1844. His son, Rev. Donald Macrae, succeeded him, 1857-1859. He returned a second time, in 1870, and remained four years.

It was during his first ministry that St. Columba's Church was built in 1859. From 1860 to 1869 Rev. Simon McGregor was minister. He was succeeded by the Rev. Peter Galbraith 1875; the Rev. Peter Melville 1881, the Rev. Homer Putman 1893, Rev. John Macintosh 1898, and the present Pastor, Rev. C. Munro 1908.

Union Church, Hopewell was organized in 1854. The present church was completed and opened in 1857. The first minister was Rev. John Mackinnon. He was inducted in 1858, and served the Church for eighteen years. He was a preacher of great vigor, and a most faithful pastor. The Rev. A. Maclean, D.D., was his worthy successor, 1877-1891. The first elders were Peter Ross, Robt. Munro, John McLean, Robt. Dunbar, Thomas Grant, Daniel Shaw, Enon McDonald and Angus McPhie. Rev. Simon Fraser was pastor in 1892; Rev. Wm. McNichol, in. 1895; Rev. Hugh Miller, 1908, and the present minister, Rev. Geo. A. Logan, 1912. The Ferrona Church was an off-shoot from the Hopewell congregation. It was organized March 3, 1896. Revs. W. H. Smith, A. M. Thompson and J. F. Polley have served it as pastors.

Additional Resources

Ministers Born and brought up in this District

Pictonians at Home and Abroad, 1914

 

Pictou County


Add/Correct a Link

Comments/Submit Data


Copyright 2002-2017 by Canadian Genealogy
The WebPages may be linked to but shall not be reproduced on another site without written permission.